Go Go Charger, other chargers, adapters

TonyWilliams

User asked to be "deleted"
1) An adapter plug to charge Alta SM into the J-plug outlets. Perhaps it will become a feature on the new SMR, so I'd wait until the new SMR comes out.

We would be happy to produce a J1772 for the SMR. It’s absolutley bizarre that it doesn’t have one now.

2) A small 110V charger to carry with you on your EX/EXR. Perhaps with an optional J-plug. This product will always be in demand.

We can provide this, also

3) If you could make a 120VAC 30A charger, then it could be plugged into a pair of linked 2000W 110V generators. This would solve a lot of fast charging problems for racers in the North America. The 110V generators are quiet, cheap and plentiful, but 240V generators are usually industrial, big and heavy around here.

Doesn’t the Euro market offer the Honda and Yamaha generators in 220-240 VAC ? Probably easier to just buy one of those.

4) A complete charging solution that can charge the Alta from a used Tesla battery.

Well, that’s certainly possible, but I can’t imagine how much people really want to spend.

Tony Williams
Quick Charge Power LLC
1780-104 La Costa Meadows Drive
San Marcos, California USA
sales@QuickChargePower.com
www.QuickChargePower.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I donk think anyone has had luck getting the EU Honda 2200 240vac generators. They will not ship them state side, and although I'm certain on this, I don't think you can get them shipped to Canada either.

And welcome to the forum!

TonyWilliams

I donk think anyone has had luck getting the EU Honda 2200 240vac generators. They will not ship them state side, and although I'm certain on this, I don't think you can get them shipped to Canada either.

And welcome to the forum!

Well, that 2200W - 240V EU generator will only work with the 12 amp “standard” charger.

The faster charger is 16 amps continous, so you need something like the Honda EM5000S, rated at 18.2 amps.

AC Output120/240V 5000W max. (41.2/20.8A) / 4500W rated (37.5/18.6A)

Honda EM5000S Model Info |Deluxe 5000 Watt Portable Generator | Honda Generators

The Honda EM4000S is only rated at 14.6 amps...
AC Output120/240V 4000W max. (33.3/16.7A) / 3500W rated (29.2/14.6A)

snydes

Staff member
If a business minded individual wanted to look into importing a quantity of them they could probably sell quite a few of them on here. We've discussed this multiple times in the past but the downfall was always shipping.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
3) If you could make a 120VAC 30A charger, then it could be plugged into a pair of linked 2000W 110V generators. This would solve a lot of fast charging problems for racers in the North America. The 110V generators are quiet, cheap and plentiful, but 240V generators are usually industrial, big and heavy around here.
Doesn’t the Euro market offer the Honda and Yamaha generators in 220-240 VAC ? Probably easier to just buy one of those.
Yes, they do have those generators, but you would need to import two small ones, or one large generator, which would cost ~$4K. And you won't be able to use that generator for anything else other than charging the Alta.

For that money it is cheaper, simpler, and more practical to buy one of those bigger Yamaha or Honda generators here. Although they weigh like 200 lbs, not very portable for daily use.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
2) A small 110V charger to carry with you on your EX/EXR. Perhaps with an optional J-plug. This product will always be in demand.
We can provide this, also
I think this should be a perfect start, since you already have an EXR but no compact charger to take on the road with you.

The SM has a charger tucked somewhere into the "gas tank" area. But you can't buy those without buying an SM. Although, honestly, we haven't tried.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Well, that 2200W - 240V EU generator will only work with the 12 amp “standard” charger.

The faster charger is 16 amps continous, so you need something like the Honda EM5000S, rated at 18.2 amps.

AC Output120/240V 5000W max. (41.2/20.8A) / 4500W rated (37.5/18.6A)

Honda EM5000S Model Info |Deluxe 5000 Watt Portable Generator | Honda Generators

The Honda EM4000S is only rated at 14.6 amps...
AC Output120/240V 4000W max. (33.3/16.7A) / 3500W rated (29.2/14.6A)

The setup that they used in Europe was two EU2200 in parallel to make 3600 watts at 240vac.

schwankl

Most would probably want whatever public charge station translator.

I would like to go dc-dc, input: 48v dc from 2 tesla modules (10kwh) using something like this:
Step Up Converters 5,000W-7,000W - Zahn Electronics ... 98% efficient would be nice ... but need to find one that outputs to what the fast charger does... This is the rapid charger right? 3.3KW UHF CAN bus charger ... anyone taken measurements ... or wireshark/sniff the can bus?

leeo45

Geezer in denial
I guess I’m not following.

Are we talking about charging from public J1772 (AC) charge stations? Or from regular AC electrical outlets? Or from a DC source, like CHAdeMO public charge stations?

I may not represent the majority, but my preference is a small, lightweight 110VAC charger that is compatible with the existing ALTA charging plug. Someone might be able to convince me that another solution is preferable, but I don't currently like the idea of searching for a charging station and standing in a Kroger parking lot for an hour while the bike charges.

It would add a lot of capability and effectively double the usable around town range of my EXR if I could plug it in at work or a friend's house. The onboard 110V charger is one of the reasons I am thinking about getting a Redshift SM (and probably would have already bought an SM-R if they had made it to production).

All of that said, there is a good chance I would buy any charging solution that is reliable and small enough to carry with me or mount on the bike.

TonyWilliams

I may not represent the majority, but my preference is a small, lightweight 110VAC charger that is compatible with the existing ALTA charging plug. Someone might be able to convince me that another solution is preferable, but I don't currently like the idea of searching for a charging station and standing in a Kroger parking lot for an hour while the bike charges.

It would add a lot of capability and effectively double the usable around town range of my EXR if I could plug it in at work or a friend's house. The onboard 110V charger is one of the reasons I am thinking about getting a Redshift SM (and probably would have already bought an SM-R if they had made it to production).

All of that said, there is a good chance I would buy any charging solution that is reliable and small enough to carry with me or mount on the bike.
What about mounting the charger in the “air box”

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor

I'd also like a small 110vac charger

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
It sounds like there is a market for a compact, light weight charger that operates on standard 110v outlets, even if it does take longer to achieve full charge. Especially amongst the EXR crowd.

TonyWilliams

I think what @Speedkills wants (as do I) - a dc-dc can bus alta charge spec adapter that talks the charge station protocol.

Well, any typical DC2DC will go through an AC phase. And, you still need a way to control the power.

If you want to use a bunch of batteries as the source of energy, you’ll still need a charge controller of some type.

Since I’m most familiar with the CHAdeMO DC fast charge protocol, certainly we could design something that uses the ALTA data (via CAN) to communicate with a charge controller via CHAdeMO. It wouldn’t have to use the large CHAdeMO connector, since we are only considering about 40A DC maximum (12kW at 300V). We could probably run that through a modified J1772 inlet with a provision for the 7 CHAdeMO communication pins.

So, the bike would have two 40A relays (like Gigavac P105), our CHAdeMO circuit card, CAN interface from the bike, and a modified J1772 inlet. Maybe a few pounds of stuff here. One failing is that you couldn’t physically use an actual public CHAdeMO station, because of the non-standard connector. I guess an adaptor could be made (nothing money can’t solve!).

Reminder... with proper cooling, these cells will be capable of up to 2C charge rate... about 10-12kW with the existing almost 6kWh ALTA battery.

At the track / pickup / OHV Park / trailer, you would need your DC power source (batteries, or an existing Electric Vehicle). The piece of the puzzle that I’m weak on is the DC powered charge controller, but the communication with the controller is easy.

I learned today that there are two CAN buses on the ALTA; the throttle control and everything else.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor

TonyWilliams

Are you planning to make the J1772 adapter the same way the Zero connector works? Or will there be some sort of handshake between the L2 charger and the OBC?
SAE J1772 Charging Adapter [10-03267] - $150.00 : Zero Motorcycles, Electric Motorcycle Company

Well, it depends if we are talking about a bike with an onboard vehicle charger, or not.

I don’t know how the ALTA communicates (yet), but whatever it is, we can convert that to J1772. We have produced that same adapter for the ZERO motorcycle guys.

Top Bottom