GM electric crate motor kit

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I recently switched my daily auto read from a yellow-journalism Jalopnik to Electrek. Lots of interesting stuff to read there!

I saw that article on Electrek a few days ago. The reader comments were that a new Chevy Bolt-based crate EV motor kit would probably cost more than a used Bolt EV. Has anyone heard anything about the pricing?

It is only 200 hp and 60 kWh, which could feel good when zooming around town. But without access to the Supercharger network it would probably rule out most out-of-state trips.

How do non-Tesla EV owners charge on longer trips? The Bolt is capable of 55 kW fast charging, but are there any/many non-Tesla charging stations capable of this?

I think someone once said there are devices to fool Tesla Superchargers into thinking that you are charging a Tesla? If they could fool them into thinking that you are driving one of the free lifetime charging Model S or X, this would be like stealing gas/electricity.

@AltaWest @bluefxstc

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
There are getting to be quite a few non Tesla DC fast charging sites available. Plugshare and ChargePoint are the two that I use to find sites when the supercharger network isn't available where I want to go.

Both Shell and BP are starting to build a charge network and Electrify America is a fast charge network being built out with some of the VW Diesielgate settlement money.
Great info, thank you! This definitely helps relieve the range anxiety!

I haven't been able to see the Plugshare and ChargePoint prices, but at Electrify America, at $0.43 per kWh (or $0.31 per kWh + $4/mo fee), the price of electricity is almost twice of what it would cost to fuel an ICE car and drive the same distance.

I would stick with Tesla Superchargers at $0.25 per kWh for now! And charge at home for approximately a half of that price.

AltaWest

Forum's Sponsor
I recently switched my daily auto read from a yellow-journalism Jalopnik to Electrek. Lots of interesting stuff to read there!

I saw that article on Electrek a few days ago. The reader comments were that a new Chevy Bolt-based crate EV motor kit would probably cost more than a used Bolt EV. Has anyone heard anything about the pricing?

It is only 200 hp and 60 kWh, which could feel good when zooming around town. But without access to the Supercharger network it would probably rule out most out-of-state trips.

How do non-Tesla EV owners charge on longer trips? The Bolt is capable of 55 kW fast charging, but are there any/many non-Tesla charging stations capable of this?

I think someone once said there are devices to fool Tesla Superchargers into thinking that you are charging a Tesla? If they could fool them into thinking that you are driving one of the free lifetime charging Model S or X, this would be like stealing gas/electricity.

@AltaWest @bluefxstc

Yeah, what happened to Jalopnik?

Anyway, on long trips we usually charge overnight, typically staying at an RV park (in our vintage '65 EV). If you're really road tripping, you are probably not taking your vintage K5 Blazer with a Chevy EV drive in it.

By the way, what a terrible battery installation. What, no bed anymore?