Gearing selection for maximum range

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
I was hoping to post this question on Phillip's Dyno thread when he dyno'd both his MX and MXR, but I couldn't find it the second time. Moving on, the majority of riding I do is off road stuff where speeds rarely exceed 30MPH and there is a lot of elevation change. No Moto X. I have the 2019 EXR with 13/53 gearing. I ride Map 2 about 99% of the time. What I am wondering is, if I went to a 12T on the counter, would I get more range? Today's ride along with last weeks ride, I did a lot of tight trail crawling, where I maybe went 6-10MPH over some very steep rocky stuff. My thinking is, if I geared lower, I would need less phase amps to get the work done, which would translate into less needed current, and more range. Am I on the right track here?

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Highest efficiency on the MXR is between 30-40 mph, which has 12/53 gearing. The motor and battery are exactly the same on the EXR, so you'll likely get better efficiency in tight, technical riding if you drop a tooth in the front.

Reactions: Rix

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I was hoping to post this question on Phillip's Dyno thread when he dyno'd both his MX and MXR, but I couldn't find it the second time.
It is pinned up in the Riding Maps/Modes sub-forum. The forum also has two search functions, in case you need to find something else.

That dyno thread does not have any information about the efficiency, but TCMB371 has nailed the answer. This info came from Judaslefourbe, I think, so straight from Alta.

Reactions: Rix