Gear Oil Creamy Color ?

VINSANITY

I just changed the gear oil and went for a ride. Went through some pretty deep water a few times.

You can see the oil is a creamy color in the sight glass - like water got into the casing somehow - or antifreeze, that would not be good.

Any ideas on what happened.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Did you happen to see what the oil looked like after it sat overnight?

That could well be aeration, tiny bubbles making it look cloudy.

Slayer

Pictures attached this time

Alta Froth, I made the same alarming observation the last time I renewed the gear oil and checked it after a ride. Liked to say I checked it after that...never did. I just looked at it again, and believe it’s the norm. Very scientific.

VINSANITY

Thanks for the responses - my gearbox noise also went up when I noticed the issue - flushed the gear oil - since changing the gear oil no more problems, gear noise back to normal - still frothy which is apparently aeration

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Gear oil turns this color when condensation/water get into it. Did you recently have some extreme weather temp variations or change in Humidity while in operation? Also, make sure the fill plug is snug.

Oded

Because of this discussion, I replaced the gear oil today (it was after I accidently submerged the bike, don't ask..).
The used oil was grey and creamy. Replaced it with a Liqui-moli 75w.
Look at the photo, the difference between the old and new oil is quite striking.

I think the creamy color was before the bike was submerged, but I am not 100% sure.

20200529_125155.jpg20200529_125155.jpg