Gear oil change

snydes

Staff member
Actually this was the first I heard of doing a oil change after a few hours. In my boredom waiting for this bike I broke down and read through the 2017 manual online, and apparently I missed that. Actually I didn't see the 1000 hour oil change interval either. Did I mention my attention span isn't ideal for reading manuals? What are we talking about again?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Grr... I bought the oil but haven't changed it yet. Contributing to my procrastination was a YouTube video of one of the top Alta guys claiming that the gear oil "almost never needs to be changed", or something like this.

Thank you for the reminder. I'd rather stay on the cautious side and perform the only other maintenance procedure that this bike needs, besides lubing the chain.

ecd

Does the owners manual describe how to change the oil? I assume it's easy, but I want to check. I've searched for the word "oil" throughout the owners manual and I don't see any specific instructions, other than to change it and the oil weight. The manual has instructions for seemingly esoteric procedures, but nothing for changing the oil? Is it just: open drain plug, re-fill till it's in sight glass (i.e., no filter or special steps?)

I'm looking at the 2017 manual, which I believe is the only one available

Fod

I still haven't changed mine. Should I be worried at almost 30 hours?
Ride...charge....repeat

Oded

Sometimes you'll find small metal particles in the first oil change.

I'd replace the oil per the manufacture's instructors. It's quick and easy.

TeslaRaptor

80cc of oil to change. I bought a 1L can, it will last me for the rest of my life, LOL!

I just read the manual on doing a gear oil change...and it doesn't mention any specific amount (unlike the Husky/KTM manuals which are quite specific)....but does have a pic with a syringe of gear oil. I am super glad I read 80 cc/ml is the amount vs loading up a funnel/syringe with the normal amount of gear oil my other bikes take.......this forum keeps giving and giving (and saving the floor of my garage from oil spills!!!!)

TeslaRaptor

Check out page 95 step 8. It is kind of buried in the GEARBOX COVER - REMOVAL & INSTALLATION section.

The manual also says to replace the O-ring when you replace the drain plug. I didn't see those on offer from Liquid performance. Anyone get the specs on the o-ring that is needed?

wwmotors

The oil always looks clear till now! I changed it 3 times now. BUT You can hear the difference in gearnoise, when You change it! It is way less noise from the 2 gearwheels after the change!