Front Fender Slap

snydes

Staff member
The 2018 fender is the mounting pattern that the original poster of this thread adapted and is what TCMB371 is planning an creating an adapter for.

snydes

Staff member
Following MattB’s lead I did the 2016-2018 KTM/Husky fender and number plate retrofit. I essentially did what Matt did except I made some offset fender bushings for the bottom mounting holes and drilled/tapped new holes in the lower triple clamp.
5C4117EA-1FE5-491C-AB75-4A7C9EA81CA0.jpeg
The offset bushings (3/32” off center) are necessary to bring the holes in close enough as there is not enough material in the stock Alta triple clamp to mount the fender using the stock KTM spacing.
7AAF7134-22E4-4302-93E9-F0F860984925.jpeg
Then of course the easy part are the two forward fender bolts (.800” up from bottom edge to hole c/l, 1.556” apart center to center).
7DEDCD1F-9AD2-4D35-839E-3B71C2B8BC44.jpeg
The KTM/Husky front number plates the mount right up to the unused center tapped boss in the upper clamp. A 1/4-28 bolt will work in that hole.

This configuration has the advantage of eliminating the Alta fender brace and brake line loop. Plus for the enduro guys you can now mount a KTM light cleanly. And for the same cost as a replacement Alta fender brace (when they were available), you can have a much more rigid front fender and number plate with integrated brake line guide. Plus it’s an easily 100% reversible modification.

snydes

Staff member
I’m not totally sold on the look, but you could use the fender as a springboard it’s that rigid. The fender I used was from Cycra and it was advertised as being more rigid than a stock fender. Number plate is a Cycra staduim plate. Now I need some fender graphics...
DA386D49-D98E-4965-8898-F4F446943505.jpeg
2BD9FE4D-6050-4664-9373-4491DFBBDF3A.jpeg

Trialsman

I made a simple bracket out of 3/16" aluminum angle and it seems very solid. You can see it in my pictures in the bikes for sale "'17MX turned EX" thread.

I like the new KTM front fender and number plate. Wasn't too bad drilling and tapping and drilling fender. Also have black. Trying to decide on graphics wether to go black front end into white or use all white plastic and pretty much any colors with graphics then

View attachment 2573

View attachment 2574

View attachment 2575

Hi, did you ever try with the Black front end at all?, if so would you mind posting some pics please as i am looking into the very same and decisions too!. (Any with a Stadium plate?).

Thats the best shots i have seen so far using the KTM plastics, am trying to use the 2021 CRF plastics but with now looking into the KTM Clamp swap for easy spare wheels i may have to go down this road.

Thanks for your time and help in advance.

wwmotors

I had the same problem: Cheapest solution. Make a new bracket with 1mm more thickness! This takes onl half an hour bending, flexing, drilling. Since that upgrade i did 1,5 years now with no slap and no braking bracket any more!

Scooter584

Hi, did you ever try with the Black front end at all?, if so would you mind posting some pics please as i am looking into the very same and decisions too!. (Any with a Stadium plate?).

Thats the best shots i have seen so far using the KTM plastics, am trying to use the 2021 CRF plastics but with now looking into the KTM Clamp swap for easy spare wheels i may have to go down this road.

IMG_20191021_071935_221.jpg

IMG_20201010_181641.jpg