First official Alta couple?

snydes

Staff member
Well... add me to the list of crazy people who bought another Alta. I picked up a 19 MXR for @mrs. snydes . She’s an experienced rider, just a bit vertically challenged at 5’1”. She normally rides a pair of CRF150RB's that I built for her, which are really ideally sized for her height, but she can can handle this Alta quite well as it is. Next is to have the suspension lowered and shave the seat a little, which should make things a bit easier to handle.

On a side note, damn do these things throw the roost! At one point it felt like someone literally threw a shovel full of dirt right in my face! And then I got smacked with a sizable rock dead center in my chest (which definitely left a mark)! No more riding behind without a chest protector!

FE2A2BAD-C4BB-49C5-B7B6-264DC21C1E05.jpeg

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Awesome! Shortly after I got the bike...sometime in September, I had my lady ride dirt for her first time. She was instantly cruising around in map 1 on the kids track with no problems, and came off the bike with a huge smile on her face. No clutch and no gears, 3 less things to worry about make it such a beginner friendly bike.
IMG_20181001_164125_816.jpg

VINSANITY

I have SLS (short leg syndrome). The Alta doesn’t have adjustable foot peg height like a lot of modern motocross bikes do. I bought two sets of YZ footpegs off eBay and intend to splice them together to raise the footpegs 1/2” approximately - will let you know how it works out as should help shorter riders get more movement in the saddle.

Oded

I use the Fastway footpegs in the lowboy position (I'm tall), not sure if they can be fitted to raise their height.

Also, try shaving some foam from the seat to lower its height. This is the most common mod for shorter riders, without adjusting the suspension.

mrs. snydes

I do love this bike. I find map 4 to be my favorite, but then I believe there is a direct relationship between the throttle and my happiness. Even when we shave the seat and lower the suspension I will still be unable to touch the ground. Should feel better with a lower center of gravity. To me the pic that snydes took makes me look like I can touch better than I can.

zootie

I'm short also...my husband shaved the seat a bit, but still can hardly reach the ground. Anyone know how to lower the suspension? I have to grab a fence when I roll off the track otherwise I fall over!

snydes

Staff member
I'm short also...my husband shaved the seat a bit, but still can hardly reach the ground. Anyone know how to lower the suspension? I have to grab a fence when I roll off the track otherwise I fall over!
Just got done lowering my wife’s suspension. Shaved seat plus 2” lowered suspension. She can almost touch tippy toes both feet now! Lots of shops can perform this job for you, I can direct you to some that I know of. The shock can be lowered with traditional travel limiting spacers but the forks will need a part permanently modified, but that part is replaceable at around $150 if you ever needed to return it to stock height.

zootie

Just got done lowering my wife’s suspension. Shaved seat plus 2” lowered suspension. She can almost touch tippy toes both feet now! Lots of shops can perform this job for you, I can direct you to some that I know of. The shock can be lowered with traditional travel limiting spacers but the forks will need a part permanently modified, but that part is replaceable at around $150 if you ever needed to return it to stock height.
Yes please direct me to those sites. Thank you!

snydes

Staff member
Yes please direct me to those sites. Thank you!

Some suspension tuners are not equipped to make this modification, and some are not experienced in tuning for the Alta’s unique characteristics.

Here is one I know does the lowering on the WP air forks;
Moto Lab LLC | KTM, Husqvarna Dirt Bike Suspension Tuning & Setup
I have not heard if they are experienced with proper valving for Alta’s, but if you are only concerned with lowering and not a revalve then they could do it.

Here is a tuner that is experienced with Alta tuning, but you would have to verify if they lower the air forks, I suspect they may, but I can’t confirm;
http://www.n2dirt.net/

You may have a local tuner that is equipped to lower the forks also. Just ask if they lower WP AER 48’s. It would be less hassle shipping if you had a local guy.

If there is anything else I can help with, feel free to ask!

Reactions: Rix

zootie

Some suspension tuners are not equipped to make this modification, and some are not experienced in tuning for the Alta’s unique characteristics.

I have not heard if they are experienced with proper valving for Alta’s, but if you are only concerned with lowering and not a revalve then they could do it.

Here is a tuner that is experienced with Alta tuning, but you would have to verify if they lower the air forks, I suspect they may, but I can’t confirm;
N2Dirt Suspension – The Finest Suspension Services Available!

You may have a local tuner that is equipped to lower the forks also. Just ask if they lower WP AER 48’s. It would be less hassle shipping if you had a local guy.

Thanks to you I'll be sending the suspension out to MotoLab LLC after the holiday weekend. Seem real ice to work with.

zootie

N2Dirt Suspension – The Finest Suspension Services Available!

Sent the suspension to Moto Lab LLC. Have ridden only once so far & am thrilled with the results!!!! Thank you!