First Annual Boise Alta Ride

bluefxstc

Earlier this week @Redwolf and @Rix traveled up to Boise with their bikes to ride. We had two EXRs and my EX. Day one was just me and @Redwolf. We did about 35 miles of single track, 2 track and dirt roads. Great day, but no pictures, too busy riding. :ricky: The next day @Rix joined us. On day 2 we only got about 31 miles of riding in, but I did get some pictures. I also think that Redwolf got some video that he can hopefully upload when he gets home. Next year we are planning to ride again and any and all Alta riders are invited to join us, maybe we can make a week out of it and ride all over Idaho.

IMG_0615.JPG
3 Alta's in the wild

IMG_0624.JPG
Rix
IMG_0621a.JPG
Redwolf

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG
Redwolf already has his bike in the van but ride is done and heading for liquid refreshments. :D

Sorry about the rotation. I tried to save on rotated but it still uploaded sideways. Maybe @Philip can straighten it out, I hope.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Was truly a great ride with perfect weather. Thanks Gary for hosting and showing us Boise foot hills riding. Was also good to have a beer afterwards and discuss the ride, such as my like of range and how I was riding that contributed to that. Can't wait for next year.

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
Was truly a great ride with perfect weather. Thanks Gary for hosting and showing us Boise foot hills riding. Was also good to have a beer afterwards and discuss the ride, such as my like of range and how I was riding that contributed to that. Can't wait for next year.
Good point! What were your final numbers (SOC) between the three of you? I'm assuming y'all rode the same trails. And if there were major differences, what do you suspect as the primary contributor?

Reactions: Rix

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I finished the ride with about a quarter SOC remaining, and Rix was flat empty, and yes we were all on the same trails.
Our best guesses regarding the difference are, slightly different gearing, and I was riding in map 1 the entire ride which seemed to greatly reduce wheel spin. I had ridden the same trails the previous day in map 3 and had almost no charge remaining when I returned to the truck.
Bluefxstc had almost a half charge remaining, but he has an EX, while Rix and I have EXRs, so it's hard to compare his results with ours.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
@Redwolf I'm assuming your EXR gearing is stock?

Crazy about the EX SOC. Maybe the EX map is ~ 80% of an EXR map... Less opportunity to draw the inefficient (albeit lovely) max amps.
Could just be the SOC calculation :)
Aside from replacing the rear tire when the original went bald, my bike is totally stock, gearing suspension and all.

bluefxstc

Aside from replacing the rear tire when the original went bald, my bike is totally stock, gearing suspension and all.
My EX is also completely stock/original, other than tires, LHRB and a rear disk guard. @Rix rode my EX and said that my map 3 was virtually identical to his EXR's map 1 or 2, can't remember which exactly. Maybe he will pipe in on his impressions of the EX vs EXR. I believe that much of the difference is in the rider. I attempt to be smooth and less aggressive in my riding where @Rix did the occasional wheelie and was much faster than me, so I think that that accounts for much of the increased energy use.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
My EX is also completely stock/original, other than tires, LHRB and a rear disk guard. @Rix rode my EX and said that my map 3 was virtually identical to his EXR's map 1 or 2, can't remember which exactly. Maybe he will pipe in on his impressions of the EX vs EXR. I believe that much of the difference is in the rider. I attempt to be smooth and less aggressive in my riding where @Rix did the occasional wheelie and was much faster than me, so I think that that accounts for much of the increased energy use.
Yah, your Map 3 felt like my Map 2. Probably because of my slightly lower gearing is why the my EXR map 2 and your EX map 3 feel so close. Yah, the throttle twisting did contribute to some of my power consumption no doubt.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I'm a little concerned about our Starvation Ridge distance... When riding at my race pace, I can barely get 20 miles out of my EXR.
We may be forced to adjust our pace to reach the mileage... Although I can push mine at a brisk pace for 20 miles while going up a 3500 ft mountain and still have enough range to get home.