Firmware update by owner

Alta_mxr

Shoot I guess I should have said a reasonable $$ way for owners to update their own bikes. Already have a couple laptops don't really need another.

Speedkills

I wonder what’s with the special laptop? I would think they could sell the adapter and software even if compatibility was limited to a single laptop, having to buy the actual laptop from them is a bit odd.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Very common for OEMs to supply the diagnostic laptop. If something goes wrong with it, the dealer ships it back and gets another withing a day (ideally). Deere was doing this 10 years ago. Of course, now they use wifi, sat and G3 to communicate with their top of the line equipment......

rayivers

Very common for OEMs to supply the diagnostic laptop.

Zero certainly does, using a security dongle & interface cable. I've checked two of them out briefly over the tech's shoulder, one appeared to have a program open in a DOS window.

strider

Tesla is the same. Also I believe you can only rent one if you're in MA (they were taken to court there over right to repair).

My assumption is that they don't want to troubleshoot someone's 20 year old laptop, how knows what other software is on it, etc. Plus the thing could have malware on it that sends their data out to shady people, etc. If an update fails they need to know that it's the bike and not the laptop. If the laptop croaks halfway through the update it may brick the bike....

snydes

Staff member
Tesla is the same. Also I believe you can only rent one if you're in MA (they were taken to court there over right to repair).

My assumption is that they don't want to troubleshoot someone's 20 year old laptop, how knows what other software is on it, etc. Plus the thing could have malware on it that sends their data out to shady people, etc. If an update fails they need to know that it's the bike and not the laptop. If the laptop croaks halfway through the update it may brick the bike....

That makes very good sense.