Favorite off road helmet?

Oded

Been using the Airoh 2.1 for the last 3+ years, until it literally started falling apart.

Had a day of helmets testing yesterday and ended up with a new Shoei vxf-w.
Tried also Troy Lee Design, Suomi, AGV, UFO and Bell.
Liked them all, but the Shoei and Bell were the most comfortable, although the haviest.

What's your favorite?

IMG_20180914_124536257_HDR.jpg

leeo45

Geezer in denial
I have a Shoei shaped head. My road helmet, dual sport helmet, and dirt helmet are all Shoeis. Many years ago when I was roadracing I had Bell helmets and they were equally comfortable. I have never been able to wear Arai helmets.

I am on my third VFX-W. I have replaced the old ones simply due to their length of service, not any problems or wear. They have held up extremely well and even the oldest one still appears sound. Here is my current model:
1536994156615.png

Oded

Interesting that we both found the Shoei and Bell to be the most comfortable.

In Israel (like in Europe), popular brands are Airoh, Just1, UFO.
In America - Shoei, TLD, Bell, 6D seems to dominate.

It is not scientific but I get the impression that tbe European market is aimed at the feather weight helmets (Airoh are 990 grams), while the US are more concerned with the overall quality of the helmet.
Could be wrong here.

WoodsWeapon

I also wear an Airoh 2.1, and will be replacing it with another, in fact the Cairoli replica is what I currently want. Ive had neck problems for many years, so seeking out lightweight helmets seems tohelp with that. Problem is getting an Airoh into the states is a little involved.

Oded

The neck fastener broke loose from my Airoh 2.1. apparently, it is a known issue with this model.
Make sure, y
I also wear an Airoh 2.1, and will be replacing it with another, in fact the Cairoli replica is what I currently want. Ive had neck problems for many years, so seeking out lightweight helmets seems tohelp with that. Problem is getting an Airoh into the states is a little involved.

The neck fastener broke loose from my Airoh 2.1. apparently, it is a known issue with this model, and was taken care of with the 2.2 model.
IMG_20180911_181159434.jpgIMG_20180911_181129611.jpgIMG_20180911_181143025.jpg

Make sure, yours is fine.
I will not buy another Airoh for that reason.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I have an Airoh Aviator 2.1 as well. It is light, flimsy, and a few things broke on it, but those things have not yet prevented me from using it. But I am looking for my next helmet too. I would only go with something that vents better than the Airoh, else I might just get a replacement Airoh.

Speedkills

Tried Shoei, Aria, favorite is definitely the Airoh though. It doesn't feel as comfy standing around, but on the trail the weight makes all of the difference. I run hot so something super vented like the Klim seems attractive but I don't want to go back to a heavy helmet.

Oded

From my little research, best bang for the buck at the moment are the new Troy Lee Design helmets. Liteweight and very vented.
Did not fit my head well though.
All Airoh 2.1 veterans here (and apparently, there are quite a few), I'd look into it.

Just got back from the maiden ride with the Shoei, and it was brilliant. Very comfortable with a larger goggles opening than the 2.1.
Did not feel heavy at all, but it was a short ride.

Scott

For the best protection, in my opinion, you want something that has MIPS technology. In a nutshell it lessens the the potential for a concussion. You can read about it here TECHNOLOGY | MIPS. I personally use a 6D helmet and you can read about them here ATR-2 - 6D Helmets. They are a little bigger but I feel they give an extra level of protection over the basic helmet.

Oded

I agree about the MIPS protection. The Bell moto-9 & Troy Lee Design helmets have this technology.
6D is not being sold over here.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I have been drooling over Arai helmets ever since I was a little kid. I have been using auto racing Arai helmets, and four years ago decided to treat myself to a nice looking Arai motocross helmet. Unfortunately I ended up returning it. The eye port was too small for all of my goggles, and the helmet was pressing on top of the goggles and down on my nose, preventing me from breathing. I was heartbroken. I discovered this breathing problem on a race day and was luckily able to borrow someone else's helmet to race. Oh well... maybe Arai has made a larger eye port since then.

strider

Timely thread. I have been using Arai roadracing helmets for decades - I have an Arai (oval) head. My son and wife have Suomys and love them. They are quite light. I was planning to try out Arai's MX helmets. Picking up my EXR this weekend and need a full complement of gear.

Oded

Timely thread. I have been using Arai roadracing helmets for decades - I have an Arai (oval) head. My son and wife have Suomys and love them. They are quite light. I was planning to try out Arai's MX helmets. Picking up my EXR this weekend and need a full complement of gear.

The Suomi was 3rd on my list. It is very liteweight and comfortable. I'd look into their Alpha model which is their more advanced helmet than the Mr Jump. Also, love their graphics.

bking

I’ve always worn Arai but last year bought a Leatt GPX. It cools much better for me and has a wide field of view. For me it also works better with my goggles (100% brand.)

Whymee

Old and slow, but hopefull!
In the 80's I was wearing the Bell moto 3/4 etc. Then Bell had some issues with their factory & Shoei & Arai took their place on my head. This has continued until fairly recently.

The Bell Moto 9 Flex is my current cats meow helmet.

I even switched to a Bell Star for the road machines.

YMMV (yeah I am a newbie here)

Oded

I’ve always worn Arai but last year bought a Leatt GPX. It cools much better for me and has a wide field of view. For me it also works better with my goggles (100% brand.)

Which Leatt did you get? 5.5 or 6.5 carbon? The 6.5 looks out of this world. Could not find one over here.

As for the moto 9 flex - that's a real premium helmet. Too bad it's priced accordingly 😉

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I also looked into Leatt helmets. Looked like they might be some of the most vented helmets out there. What head shape are they? I hope not round.