Fasst Company rear brake return spring on an Alta

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
When I first test-rode the Redshift, I immediately noticed that the rear brake was too grabby. My Husky TC250 rear brake is the same way too, but on the Alta you have no flywheel!

The solution that I found is to install the Fasst Company rear brake return spring:
https://www.fasstco.com/collections/motorcycle-braking/products/rear-brake-return-spring

The model for the Brembo/Magura is what you need. Mine is blue because I originally ordered it for the Husky.

Now the rear brake pedal is way more manageable. I can feel it, and I can modulate it.

IMG_20180328_2010279s.jpg

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum, Alta_mxr!

The idea behind this mod is to increase the effort required for the brake pedal that is too easy to press. Both springs are essentially doing the same thing. Replacing one spring with another would have added the adjustability of the effort, but could have reduced the total effort, which is not what I wanted. Good question.

Alta_mxr

Welcome to the forum, Alta_mxr!

The idea behind this mod is to increase the effort required for the brake pedal that is too easy to press. Both springs are essentially doing the same thing. Replacing one spring with another would have added the adjustability of the effort, but could have reduced the total effort, which is not what I wanted. Good question.
So basically a good feel not to much effort? One of the only things I have seen not very good is the rear brake pedal tension. In fact mine doesn’t really pull back to the cam stop with just the stock spring. Watched a video on ktm install and it seems the bucket acts as the stop against the push rod. So there must be a balance between free play adjustment and spring tension.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The original problem is that the stock pedal effort is too light. It is too light on all KTM Brembo rear brakes. I cannot not feel the pedal when I am wearing motocross boots. It is too difficult to modulate the rear brake, and too easy to lock up the rear wheel.

The Fasst return spring is a second spring that helps to pull/push the brake pedal back up. It is harder to press on the pedal, it is harder to lock up the rear brake, I can feel the brake pedal better through the boot, and I can modulate the rear brake better.

One of the only things I have seen not very good is the rear brake pedal tension. In fact mine doesn’t really pull back to the cam stop with just the stock spring.

I think, if people check, everyone here will have their brake pedal not returning well. I have that on my both Alta bikes, including my brand new MXR. The problem is a poor design of the stock return spring, or its retaining hole on the frame. This torsion spring is rubbing against the brake pedal, keeping it from returning freely. Check your pedal and the wear marks on it from the stock torsion return spring.

There are two fixes to this:

One member here @Mark911 has drilled a new hole in the frame that is offset from the stock hole.

Another fix, which is something that I did, was to bend the frame end of the return spring in a way that keeps it from rubbing against the pedal. This works too.

Alta_mxr

So when I get the return spring kit I will try to use the stock spring too. I like the idea of a stronger pedal feel. So just bend the spring tab that goes into the frame so the barrel part of the spring stays off the pedal?

rayivers

I think, if people check, everyone here will have their brake pedal not returning well.

Mine too - I got lucky & was able to fix it tonight. The problem on my bike turned out to be two things: the white toothpaste-like grease in the pivot (I could barely turn the center bushing with my fingers, there was so much friction), and the torsion-spring binding mentioned earlier. Once all pivot parts and the spring boss had been cleaned and greased with one of my favorites (Silkolene Pro RG2), the pedal now snaps back instantly instead of just sitting there partially depressed, like I was. :) If you want more pedal push-back you'll still need more spring, but at least now you'll have a normal pivot instead of a viscous damper.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Mine too - I got lucky & was able to fix it tonight. The problem on my bike turned out to be two things: the white toothpaste-like grease in the pivot (I could barely turn the center bushing with my fingers, there was so much friction), and the torsion-spring binding mentioned earlier. Once all pivot parts and the spring boss had been cleaned and greased with one of my favorites (Silkolene Pro RG2), the pedal now snaps back instantly instead of just sitting there partially depressed, like I was. :) If you want more pedal push-back you'll still need more spring, but at least now you'll have a normal pivot instead of a viscous damper.

I also installed the Fasst Company rear brake return spring, which helped, and allows for some adjustability. But the real problem was the white goo stuff that rayivers mentioned above. I could not turn the lever around the bushing at all by hand. Once I cleaned out the glue-like substance and used some actual lubricant, it rotated freely. Much mo better now.

Dluxor1

When I first test-rode the Redshift, I immediately noticed that the rear brake was too grabby. My Husky TC250 rear brake is the same way too, but on the Alta you have no flywheel!

The solution that I found is to install the Fasst Company rear brake return spring:
Rear Brake Return Spring

The model for the Brembo/Magura is what you need. Mine is blue because I originally ordered it for the Husky.

Now the rear brake pedal is way more manageable. I can feel it, and I can modulate it.

View attachment 28
Which option should I order for an alta?

Top Bottom