Factory developed Redshift MX suspension shim stack specs

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I realized that not many people have read my long Re-springing a 2017 Alta Redshift MX (and then revalving too) thread. In case you missed it, Alta's factory MX team has developed updated suspension specs for the MX model. They shared it with me, and they said it was okay to share it with other Alta owners.

They did not want to share their development work with the rest of the world though, so I will not be publishing these shim stack specs here. But if you send me a PM, I will gladly email them to you. Free to forum members!

Jon

Please send it to me again... I did this to my '17 MX and it works way better than my '18 EX. I presume thw applicarion is the same.
Larry, did you do this to an EX?
Same question:

Would this stack work on an EX? I need to do fork seals, and figured I could valve it while I'm in there.

Jon

Awesome @Philip ! Could you PM me the stack?

Also, I've been dialing in the stock EX settings over the spring and summer. Got it running pretty good but a blew a fork seal, so I figured I should do valves and springs while I'm in there. Plus, the front rebound clicker is all the way in and I'm still getting bounce, so valves seem like a good thing to do. The fluid has 45 hours on it so I'm sure that is roasted, which could be part of it.

Quick question then on springs: I've pretty comfortable with how my rear is set up, but to get it there I've had to almost max out the preload. If I have lots of preload, would it make sense to go to a stiffer spring? Would I also need stiffer fork springs to match? Also, take the race sag number below with a grain of salt. I set it to 100mm a while ago with a friend, but he was doing the measuring.

Relevant specs:
2018 EX
Rider: 190 with all gear
Bike: 260-ish (all lights/street hardware removed, bathroom scale read 260-265 right before it broke)
Front sag: How are you measuring this?
Front springs: No idea
Rear static sag: 36mm
Rear race sag: 85mm (questionable, as I was trying to do it alone with a tape measure)
Rear spring: WP 60-260 (60N/mm 260mm, right?)