Factory connection, Ohlins

dustinhorton

Anyone know if Factory Connection has experience with Alta suspension? I've got a fresh 2018 MXR and barely saw FC mentioned here…more talk about KTM World and Race Tech, though by seemingly few posters.

I'm slow, 250lbs, and don't find the stock suspension very confidence-inspiring (but really not too much softer than by TBT suspension on my 2017 YZ250F, to be honest…which was unexpected). I ride moto almost exclusively and am wanting to send some bigger jumps.

snydes

Staff member
I’d suggest calling them and see if they even have any data on Altas. If they don’t, then I would look elsewhere. These electric bikes respond differently than a gas bike, so unless they spent some time developing settings specifically on an Alta you are better off going to a tuner that has

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
My experience with Race Tech didn't go well. The suspension was worse than stock, horrible communication, super arrogant, and then they refused to continue working with me. Luckily they returned it back to stock, I got my money back, minus all the shipping charges and 4 months of lost time. I still want to try their setup, but I may have to install it myself.

snydes

Staff member
Will do.

@snydes I read about you sending your stuff to KTM World—have you posted your thoughts on the result?

I admittedly would make a terrible test rider as I can’t wrap my head around all the suspension techno-babble, so I’m not the best guy to ask. What I can say is when I sent my suspension to KTM world I noted that for me I felt the forks were overly harsh in rough choppy terrain and it overall didn’t handle anything other than perfect landings well. Whatever they did significantly improved both issues so I was very pleased. Other members such as @Philip are much more serious suspension junkies and can break down the improvements they experienced better than I. KTM World was an Alta dealer and the owner of the place was also an Alta owner so they have the experience/history with the bikes which makes the difference IMO.

dustinhorton

@Philip Sorry to hear that. I was interested in giving them a shot because of their PulpMX support.

@snydes I have zero knowledge or interest in tinkering myself, and until I move, I'll be riding alone 99% of the time so my only real option is to research and read and trust the community.

I think I'll not even bother with FC—I like everything I've heard about KTM World, and I could see myself heading there in 2021 to take advantage of their in-person services too.

Matt

E-Rider
Where in NY are you located. I took my bike to Steve Mathewsons. He put racetech gold vales in mine and set it up for my skill set weight and it kicks ass. He has done quite a few Altas now. He was part of the dealer here in NY and did the suspension for all Altas sold here. Highly recommend him he does good work

dustinhorton

@Matt Forgot about reading your posts when I bought my first one. I'm outside Ithaca, and actually bought my first Alta off another awesome forum member in Rochester.

I wouldn't mind sending one to him and my other to KTM World to compare.

Matt

E-Rider
@Matt Forgot about reading your posts when I bought my first one. I'm outside Ithaca, and actually bought my first Alta off another awesome forum member in Rochester.

I wouldn't mind sending one to him and my other to KTM World to compare.
I think Steve does factory connection stuff too. I think he is both racetech and factory connection certified mechanic or implemtoru I am not sure what the term is. I would give him a call and ask on that though. I know he used a factory connection rear spring couples with the racetech internals on my set up and I saw some other bikes in his shop with the factory connection stickers on them.

Brent421

I’ve done a lot of experimenting with the suspension on my 2019 MXR’s and struggled with bottoming out a ton with the WP front forks. I’m 185lbs with my gear and had to increase the air in my front forks to 180psi. I never ran more than 145 in my 2019 KTM 450 and never struggled with bottoming out like I do on the Alta’s. That being said, I put the Ohlins on one of my bikes and the difference is night and day, better than anything I’ve ever ridden. I went with the TTX 22 cartridge kit on the front, which saved me a couple grand since Alta’s have WP and the kit slides right in. I had it sprung at 4.8 and it was great but too soft for Supercross style tracks so I had to go to Ohlins stiffest springs, the 5.1’s and the bike is perfect now. Super plush and doesn’t bottom out on massive jumps or if I over jump something. I went with the Ohlins TTX Flow on the rear and it made a world of difference too. I went with a 58 Ohlins spring in the rear, which is actually a little stiffer than the WP 60’s our bikes come with. The bike with Ohlins is perfect now, super planted and floats over braking bumps like they’re not even there. I’ve let several buddies, including one AMA pro ride both of my Alta’s. Everyone of them was blown away at how much better the Alta with Ohlins is.
052B61BA-F501-4609-B09E-2CE8A36E6B78.jpeg

Motophyllic

I’ve done a lot of experimenting with the suspension on my 2019 MXR’s and struggled with bottoming out a ton with the WP front forks. I’m 185lbs with my gear and had to increase the air in my front forks to 180psi. I never ran more than 145 in my 2019 KTM 450 and never struggled with bottoming out like I do on the Alta’s. That being said, I put the Ohlins on one of my bikes and the difference is night and day, better than anything I’ve ever ridden. I went with the TTX 22 cartridge kit on the front, which saved me a couple grand since Alta’s have WP and the kit slides right in. I had it sprung at 4.8 and it was great but too soft for Supercross style tracks so I had to go to Ohlins stiffest springs, the 5.1’s and the bike is perfect now. Super plush and doesn’t bottom out on massive jumps or if I over jump something. I went with the Ohlins TTX Flow on the rear and it made a world of difference too. I went with a 58 Ohlins spring in the rear, which is actually a little stiffer than the WP 60’s our bikes come with. The bike with Ohlins is perfect now, super planted and floats over braking bumps like they’re not even there. I’ve let several buddies, including one AMA pro ride both of my Alta’s. Everyone of them was blown away at how much better the Alta with Ohlins is.
View attachment 6243
Can you give me some advice on putting Ohlins in my MXR. Did you have someone do it for you, or is it an easy DIY? I had KTM World do the front and rear, but I’m not happy with it.

VINSANITY

Brent421 convinced me and I went Ohlins too.

I found a lightly used suspension on ebay, Ohlins TTX Flow KT 1793 rear shock and Ohlins RFX 48mm fork - both off a 2018 Husquvarna FX350 - my springs happened to be the same as Brent’s.

Like Brent has stated it’s really unbelievable how much better they are on the Alta. I initially had stock EXR suspension and it was almost unridable in whoops or choppy trails. I then swapped a forum member for stock MXR suspension which I thought was a huge step up from the EXR. Then I traded Phillip for his KTM World MXR suspension and I thought it couldn’t get better, but it still bottomed hard on some really large jump faces and when I pumped them up with more air pressure the suspension didn’t soak up the little stuff very well.

Have to say once you’ve tried the Ohlins properly set up like Brent’s you will forget what you paid.

21E95E4F-7156-4AF4-B380-0F98C4F26ED9.jpeg

Matt

E-Rider
I had Steve Matthewson do my wp suspension. He did a full race tech gold valve set up. Suspension is perfect. I rides like a dream. Soaks up chop, stays planted through turns, and can take big hits. He has done several Altas and went to see the Altas that race tech were working on when they first got their hands on a few. Cost 950 for full race tech gold valving set to my weight and rider profile as well as a new rear spring. He is a race tech technician and a factory connection technician so I actually have a factory connection spring because it had a size that fit me better. Either way I have had zero issues with it and if you don't like it he will set it back to what you had and refund your money.

Motophyllic

I’d really like to go with the Ohlins, do I have to shop around the Internet and set it up myself or does anyone know of somebody they could recommend who could set it for my weight and skill level? I paid $1000 for KTM World and totally regret it.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Brent421 convinced me and I went Ohlins too.

I found a lightly used suspension on ebay, Ohlins TTX Flow KT 1793 rear shock and Ohlins RFX 48mm fork - both off a 2018 Husquvarna FX350 - my springs happened to be the same as Brent’s.

Like Brent has stated it’s really unbelievable how much better they are on the Alta. I initially had stock EXR suspension and it was almost unridable in whoops or choppy trails. I then swapped a forum member for stock MXR suspension which I thought was a huge step up from the EXR. Then I traded Phillip for his KTM World MXR suspension and I thought it couldn’t get better, but it still bottomed hard on some really large jump faces and when I pumped them up with more air pressure the suspension didn’t soak up the little stuff very well.

Have to say once you’ve tried the Ohlins properly set up like Brent’s you will forget what you paid.

View attachment 8274
Any issues using the stock front wheel/spacers/axle with the Ohlins fork? Or did you have to use something else?

VINSANITY

To save some money I looked on ebay and eventually found a used KTM / Husky suspension that came up.

Brent421 upgraded the internals on the stock MXR WP forks with Ohlins (it’s made to fit) and purchased a new rear shock. He worked with Fast Bike Industries in North Carolina. Dave Bernard is the guy to talk to - his cell number (828) 243-7240

Motophyllic

To save some money I looked on ebay and eventually found a used KTM / Husky suspension that came up.

Brent421 upgraded the internals on the stock MXR WP forks with Ohlins (it’s made to fit) and purchased a new rear shock. He worked with Fast Bike Industries in North Carolina. Dave Bernard is the guy to talk to - his cell number (828) 243-7240
Great, thank you