EXR wont turn on -- Solved

Hi, I'm new :) Lots of technical info here, wow.

My son's EXR wont turn on, which means it wont charge... any ideas? Saw one post saying to tap (bang gently) on the battery with a rubber mallet... anyone know of an easyish way to get at the battery?

We're open to any ideas to try getting it started, thanks!

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
By what you say, I would suspect the key switch before I start messing with the battery pack.

Almost sounds like a wire connector has come unplugged.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
There have been instances of individual pins within the connectors that came loose, which would not be corrected by unplugging and reconnecting. A detailed examination of each plug would be needed to verify.

A broken or cut wire would be the next suspected condition.

they're checking the pins now. it was working perfectly fine, he parked it, and the next time he tried ( a week later) it didn't work. He guesses he left it around half charged.

snydes

Staff member
As far as I remember, every bike we’ve had to troubleshoot that was totally dead was due to a bad BCU in the top cover of the battery. Only real way we can verify that at this point is to swap in a known good battery from another bike. Unfortunately as you might guess finding another Alta much less an owner willing to let you do this is not too good. Your symptoms are consistent with our forum administrators bad BCU issue which Redwolf linked above.

darn, ok. Should've bought 2. :LOL: Thank you. I skimmed thru and then read the summary. They are watching the video on removing the battery now. So maybe we have to buy the part and try it out. We'll keep reading and if anyone has any other ideas we're open! Thanks so much.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. I am afraid it is the BCU. But you have the EXR, and those BCUs are available. It is not a straightforward problem to diagnose and repair, but it has been done before. This time it will take several people on this forum to get it done. And you may find a problem somewhere else sooner if you follow the diagnostics that I have done in the thread linked above.

We help one another here, so cheer up, do the diagnostics, and if this doesn't help then find someone with an EXR or an MXR nearby who would help you first, so that in the future you could help them.

Yep. I am afraid it is the BCU. But you have the EXR, and those BCUs are available. It is not a straightforward process to diagnose it and repair, but it has been done before. This time it will take several people on this forum to get it done. And you may find a problem somewhere else sooner if you follow the diagnostics that I have done in the thread linked above.

We help one another here, so cheer up, do the diagnostics, and if this doesn't help then find someone with an EXR or an MXR nearby who would help you first, so that in the future you could help them.
awesome. thanks. will do.