EXR wont turn on -- Solved

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats!!! (y)

It is difficult but possible to replace the 9V battery without removing the main battery. Just need to wiggle things a lot. I was able to remove and check mine before I had no choice but to start swapping bigger parts between my bikes.

Brent421

Congrats!!! (y)

It is difficult but possible to replace the 9V battery without removing the main battery. Just need to wiggle things a lot. I was able to remove and check mine before I had no choice but to start swapping bigger parts between my bikes.
Just curious, but what is the purpose of the 9v battery? These bikes seem pretty rock solid, but we all know 9v batteries don’t last forever.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Just curious, but what is the purpose of the 9v battery? These bikes seem pretty rock solid, but we all know 9v batteries don’t last forever.

@Mark911 would be the proper person to answer that question, for a technical answer. The 9v supplies voltage to the 'power up' circuit in the ACM. Dead 9v, no signal to the other components to turn on.

@TCMB371 suggested relocating the placement for the 9v battery. Thats something that we should explore, especially if they need to be replaced every couple of years.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
It's difficult to say if this bike's failure was a parasitic draw or faulty 9v.

I use lithium batteries for GPS tracking on a fleet of trailers. They are suppose to last 18 months, I change them out at 12 months. Some of the batteries just plan fail, far short of the 12 month schedule I implemented.

I wonder if 12vdc could have been used for the ACM. If so, 18650s in a 12v config could have been used. The 12v low voltage side of the battery could have been used to keep up the charge on the 18650s. If that pack went dead, an external 12vdc source could have been used to "jump" the pack, get the bike back to life, at which point the main battery pack's 12v low side voltage would charge up the 18650s. More complexity. More weight. But more redundancy.

datadog

We designed the firmware to work around that specific part number.
It does not mean other models won't work, but the FW might see them as faulty..

Smartypants. If you look at the voltage drop over the life of that battery, it retains 9+ volts much longer than a nickel cell. The firmware likes that.

metallic88

so when the key turns on does it send a signal to the (edit: i ment acm but got the names mixed up) to turn on the battery or does it go directly to the bcu?
my mxr is doing the same but I replaced the 9v battery and still nothing.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
It's difficult to say if this bike's failure was a parasitic draw or faulty 9v.

I got a message from @SarahShoemaker (about a month ago) that the bike is dead again. It had been sitting since the last repair because the tire was flat.

Sarah, I can't seem to find your direct contact info. Reach out to me when you can. I'm sure I can walk you or your husband through replacing the 9v again, as well as coming up with a way to remotely locate the battery to make it easier to replace.

Thanks!

Thanks @OneLapper! Fixed the tire today- then husband and son watched the video and removed the 9v battery- dead. Set it up so it sticks out the plug up top and can be replaced again easily. Next we gotta figure out what the parasitic drain is! Exciting to make some progress. Thanks for all your help!!