Ex to sumo conversion

Jon

Hey everyone,

Just finished up a somewhat painful supermoto conversion, and thought ya'll might like a peak!

The pain was really self induced. I bought some left over SM wheels from liquid performance, and wouldn't you know: they had a great deal on the SM front brake assembly! That thing fits right up to the larger disk, so it should make things easier, right?

alta before.png

Not so much. Turns out there are not a ton of axial to radial brake adapters for sizes other than 320mm. Bummer. I figured I could just make an adapter and move on.

I did a little measuring and design work and whipped up a few 3d printed models to test fit. Turns out that making something that would fit, was machinable by a noob like me, and would have sufficient strength was kind of hard. Took a few days, but I came up with a reasonable design... but it needed to be 7071-T6 to make me comfortable from a strength perspective. The material took forever to get here from ebay, but I was finally off and running.

alta machine setup.png

Took way too long to hog out all the material, but I finally made it work! Pretty stoked to just be able to switch wheels and a brake and have a totally different bike! Would I do it again? Probably not. I would either stick with the stock brakes or just buy SM forks. Or just buy an SM. But I guess we all need hobbies, right?

IMG_20200429_145852.jpg
alta bracket.png

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats!!! I thought there would be a ton of these Brembo radial caliper adapters already available for the KTM, but I was wrong! After spending a half a day goodling, I found something in Italy that might fit, or might not. At that point I sort of gave up. Congrats for pulling this off!

snydes

Staff member
Interesting you should post this, I was recently considering doing the same thing. It was once mentioned in a past post that an aftermarket KTM bracket would work for this purpose, but it sounds like this is not be the case? Perhaps Jon you could blueprint your bracket? I would be surprised if there were not several more members here that would be interested in an SM conversion for their bikes as well.

Nice work!

Jon

I'd be happy to post my CAD/drawing for the part, @snydes . Just got a little lazy as I did the Solidworks on my work computer which is all the way upstairs ha! I'll add some detail about the design process and FEA that I ran.

I wish I would have taken more pictures while I was machining... oh well.

Next stop: dash protection bracket!

snydes

Staff member
So just to be clear... that eBay bracket will work for adding the SM brakes and wheels to the MX/EX forks?

Nikola

Call Warp9, ask if they have them, and let us know!
I spoke with them today and they said they do not make them and the brackets they were aware of came straight from Alta. If the member who purchased the bracket from the Ebay listing above could share the info or supplier for the bracket that would be helpful.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I spoke with them today and they said they do not make them and the brackets they were aware of came straight from Alta. If the member who purchased the bracket from the Ebay listing above could share the info or supplier for the bracket that would be helpful.

Wait what? We never made a bracket. That bracket picture I showed was a picture of an aftermarket bracket to connect to the AER Forks.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Ask for a KTM supermoto caliper conversion bracket. Alta never had a bracket.

Nikola

I called and spoke to the team at Toxic Moto Racing afterwards and they were very helpful. They set me up with everything I need. Bracket for the caliper, SM tires, tubes, ect. Good group of guys over there. Give them a call and they can help. They were very knowledgable on the Alta's as well.