EX/R Conversion Kit

ayden_kry

Forum's Sponsor
With the help form @Rashid510 we were able to piece together a kit which will allow you to covert your MX/R to a EX/R. Due to stock limitations on some parts we've only got 15 complete sets available right now. Once those are all sold out we'll work on putting together another kit with fewer items. The kit doesn't have hardware (Bolt, Nuts, Ect.) due to lack of stock.

Check it out here Alta Motors EX/EXR Conversion Kit | eBay

F451

With the help form @Rashid510 we were able to piece together a kit which will allow you to covert your MX/R to a EX/R. Due to stock limitations on some parts we've only got 15 complete sets available right now. Once those are all sold out we'll work on putting together another kit with fewer items. The kit doesn't have hardware (Bolt, Nuts, Ect.) due to lack of stock.

This looks like a great kit but don't you need to update the firmware to the EX/EXR firmware to power the components if you're installing this on an MXR? And MX I'm assuming?

If so, you need to inform people of that otherwise you may have some unhappy buyers. If I am incorrect on the firmware update needed, please disregard.

ayden_kry

Forum's Sponsor
This looks like a great kit but don't you need to update the firmware to the EX/EXR firmware to power the components if you're installing this on an MXR? And MX I'm assuming?

If so, you need to inform people of that otherwise you may have some unhappy buyers. If I am incorrect on the firmware update needed, please disregard.

So far it doesn't look like you need to, a few people have already installed these kits without trouble.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor

Ive installed a lighitng kit on my MX which was spotty when I was plugging everything in (ACM is really picky on the 12V side). Once all connections are plugged in (lights and such) it runs with no issues.

F451

Great to know guys, thanks! This is the opposite of what I have been told by someone that did this install recently. Sounds like they unnecessarily updated their firmware. Ouch.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Great to know guys, thanks! This is the opposite of what I have been told by someone that did this install recently. Sounds like they unnecessarily updated their firmware. Ouch.

The lighting functions are managed by the ACM...at one point bikes had kind of a weird combo of MX and EX firmware. If need be rolling back the ACM firmware is needed. Not the whole FW sack.

F451

Does anyone know if the lights in the kit are LED or normal incandescent bulbs?

I studied the ebay listing as well as closeups of the photos but can't tell.

And I'm guessing it doesn't matter to the Alta system as long as the lights are drawing 12v? Thanks.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Does anyone know if the lights in the kit are LED or normal incandescent bulbs?

I studied the ebay listing as well as closeups of the photos but can't tell.

And I'm guessing it doesn't matter to the Alta system as long as the lights are drawing 12v? Thanks.

If it is all stock ALTA EXR parts then everything is incandescent bulbs.

snydes

Staff member
I purchased one of these kits, like leeo45 stated this is all OEM Alta stuff, and it is as nice as you would expect already knowing the quality of the components on these bike. Seeing how the EX/EXR's are appearing to be the most in demand Altas at this time, this is going to be a great alternative to waiting around for one of these bikes to come up for sale. And price wise you can beat it, I've done dual sport conversions on other ICE bikes and I easily had more invested in aftermarket harnesses and lights than what this kit is being offered for. The only other issue an owner of an MX/MXR will have to deal with is plating the bike, which will vary from state to state. I've heard several cases where MX/MXR's came back titled as an "MC" and not an "ORV", so if that's the case, plating one should be a piece of cake.

Pintro

That was probably me on Advrider.
And I think it was an unnecessary step.
I tested the wiring with with a multimeter , and some bulbs, but got nothing. Once I plugged in the stock tail light it came alive 😖
The only extra part I used beside this kit , is an EXR front brake line. The MX/MXR front brake line is shorter and would interfere with the headlight on the front. Or if put behind the headlight , and you move the dash from the handlebar it's super tight and was dragging..

EDR1

Got the SM Fender installed on the MXR. And ordered the brake light, beaver tail plastic and left and right tail light and M5 Phillips screws. The only part still needed is the metal brake light / license tag bracket. At least it’s possible to fabricate.

83588B3D-7513-4BD6-B926-E7D3AE7733C1.jpeg

EDR1

beavertail-missing-top.JPG
Still missing this top plastic piece. Appears to hold the brake light and the turn signal lights. Does anyone have this part laying around? Think the part number is 6103104-00 ASY, RETAINER, TAIL LIGHT WITH INSERTS

plastic-taillight-shroud1.JPG

reeldealev

I have a customer wishing to convert 3 MX's into EX's, the link to the kit no longer works as it is 2 years old now. I reached out to Liquid Performance and they are seeing what they have, but they said they don't have everything. Has anyone used aftermarket kits?

rayivers

For reference, here's a parts list for the EXR conversion kit I came up with:

EXR headlight ass'y 3900056-01
EXR/SM taillight retainer 6103102-00
large taillight support 6103104-00
EXR/SM rear fender 6100689-02
EXR main lighting harness 2100760-02
LH lighting switchgear clamp 3201452-01
LH lighting switchgear 3201277-00
EXR headlight bracket lower ass'y 3903685-00
-SM 3901698-00 bracket same as above except no fender mtg ears
-EXR bracket appears to be a combo of SM + MXR [6101724-03] brackets