EX In Desert South Of Boise

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
this is looking downhill ... have some borderline funny vid of me eating shit going up:
View attachment 1531
This *might* be slippery. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yes, I would definitely add studs if I had to ride this.

I actually did ride the woods in winter on a mountain bike a few years ago. It was fun if the snow wasn't too deep. I eventually added studded tires for confidence, in case I hit bare ice.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
ya with the cold and the cooling system only cooling - dont want to mess up the battery. not sure what regen does when its 20f outside and the battery is <32f ... dont want test that.
I would keep the bike in the bedroom (covered with warm blankets!), then move it into a warm van when I am about to go riding. Then, when riding, the battery should stay warm.

bluefxstc

ya with the cold and the cooling system only cooling - dont want to mess up the battery. not sure what regen does when its 20f outside and the battery is <32f ... dont want test that.
I am not too worried about that. My bike is stored in my barn so the battery was around 40 when I left and it was above freezing during the ride. Lithium cells can normally be discharged to around -25C but charging is limited to 0C and the batteries create heat as you discharge. You are correct to be concerned about regen, but I figured I was ok today and don't plan on riding if it is below freezing. I am a fair weather rider.:ricky: Additionally, hopefully the BMS will limit regen if the pack temp is too low. Most , if not all, EV cars do this and it is a pretty easy/cheap circuit to build so I hope Alta has this in their bikes.

bluefxstc

The manual says the Alta will refuse to charge if the temp is below freezing. The manual also states it will refuse regen if the battery is full. I would assume that the battery will also refuse regen if it is below freezing, but the manual doesn't specifically address that.

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
The manual says the Alta will refuse to charge if the temp is below freezing. The manual also states it will refuse regen if the battery is full. I would assume that the battery will also refuse regen if it is below freezing, but the manual doesn't specifically address that.
Thank you for this... Been worrying about riding last weekend and charging overnight at below freezing temperatures!