Error 32 - Service required negative weld. not good...

Oded

Oded, try removing the low voltage plug (NOT THE ORANGE ONE) from the top of battery for about 1 minute and then plugging it back in. See if your bike responds after that.

Disconnecting and reconnecting the low voltage cable did not change the situation. Bike is completely dead.

Oded

The bike have about 55% battery left.

The bike was unridable (12v electronics were fine) when the error codes showed up.
The bike went completely dead only after we cleared the codes via the MT.

I do have to mention, that I armed the bike and pressed the start button when it was still connected to the computer. At that point, it all went dead.

snydes

Staff member
That shouldn’t have done any harm to the bike being still connected to MT.

You don’t have access to another Alta who’s owner would let you swap packs do you? That would be the easiest way to pinpoint the problem.

I think I’d also throw a new 9v in just to eliminate that possibility.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
We have 6 Altas in Israel. I can try to find someone, but it won't be easy..
You have to rely on each other there in Israel for the part swap style troubleshooting. Someone has to go first, so do not worry about that, just reach out to all you know.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Disconnecting and reconnecting the low voltage cable did not change the situation. Bike is completely dead.

What could have happened is the code 34 latched on with the code 32, once clearing the errors the pack realized it was at 0%...may try throwing it on the charger to see if anything kicks on (I think you tried doing that). Also plugging in another pack will confirm that the remainder of the bike is operational and its more related to the pack (also plugging the known bad pack into a good bike).

If the 9V aint bad, I would focus more on the pack side. Also when in MT, it goes into a 'diagnostic mode' in the errors tab which should not affect operation.

Oded

Connecting the charger do not revive the bike. Still dead.
Can a battery swap cause a malfunction in the previously good pack? That would be the worst case sceanario.

Oded

Finished a 4 hours work on the bike.
My friend (electric engineer) and I took the battery out, and examined it.

The negative contactor was stuck. We tried some tapping and than gave it 11v and it was opened.
Battery pack voltage was 310v, so we know the cells themselves are fine.

Reconnecting the battery to the bike made no difference. Completely dead.

Looks like the original 32 error was caused by a stuck contactor, which we released.
Connecting it to the multitool, and resetting the errors caused "something" that made the entire electrical system completely shut down. Reparing the contactor did not cure that.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Good work. Looks like the contactor got left stuck which caused the pack to drop voltage enough where the BCU will not turn back on.

Charging the pack does not do anything (too bad there's no separate charger in Israel which could possibly charge the pack up)?

Code 32 occurred which probably happened while riding and it was only seen later which at that point may have been past a point on the BCU.

Oded

The battery is not depleted if I understand correctly.
The pack voltage is 310v. Is that too low?

Battery gauge showed about 55% one secend before the bike made its catastrophic shut down.

snydes

Staff member
310v is fine, that will come out to roughly 3.7v individual cell level voltage which would correspond to the 55% SOC you seen.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
@Oded, did you take pictures of the contactor on your A pack? If so, can you DM me or post them here?

I'm working on sourcing the contactors for our battery packs. The A and R packs used different components.

Thanks

OneLapper

Oded

We can't find the 9v in the ACM to BCU connector. Trying with a voltmeter with no luck.
Which pins deliver the 9v in the following connector?

20190624_221301.jpg