Electric Mountain Bikes

Ireek

Anyone tried one of these things yet? They're pretty damn cool!! I haven't ridden a mtn bike in years and first time out, I rode 22 miles pretty easily and had a ball, they haven't banned these bikes (yet) at all the mtn bike designated trails around here which are pretty awesome, I'm hoping they don't, they're almost motorcycle fun and open up many new riding areas close to home.

z3gxf2sl.jpg

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I used to own a Stealth B-52 electric bike. The manufacturer shows some awesome videos on YouTube of Ronnie Renner riding them and having fun. I bought one a year ago.

It has 8 electric horsepower. Pedaling is optional, it adds perhaps less than half of one horsepower.

IMG_20170304_1352095.jpg

Worst 2-wheeled purchase ever! Sitting on the bicycle seat was hurting my ass. Standing was uncomfortable and insecure. The suspension, even the upgraded one, is poorly developed. But the killer for me was that I was overheating either the controller or the motor in just 10-15 minutes on both desert bicycle trails or on my backyard turning track. Riding bicycle trails in the woods, I thought I would get kicked out, if I showed up. The soil is too moist and soft in the woods, and this bike would leave deep ruts. And so it had to go. I sold it at the end of the year, lost my shirt on it.

And so I bought my MX at that time and lost a second shirt when Alta dropped the prices. :cautious:

I tested electric pedal-assist bikes as well, but I did not like how they assisted me. They were helping only when I wanted to go slow, or helping very slightly with their low power on small uphills. But when I wanted to go fast the electric motor was refusing to help. I think most are programmed to not assist past 18mph to follow some stupid e-bike law that nobody knows or follows. Also, the assist was slow to start and also slow to end. The bike kept pulling forward when I wanted to stop.

Unlike those e-bikes, the MX was a true off-road, track, and backyard riding machine. I rode more off-road miles on it than on all my previous off-road motorcycles combined. I rediscovered the joy of simply riding a motorcycle.
:ricky:

Ireek

That's awesome Mark, I love that Haibike!! I made the mistake of looking at Haibike online, good grief their stuff looks gooood. I bought a 2017 leftover Trek Powerfly 8, it's pretty well equipped. I haven't really ridden a mtn bike in several years so I am totally out of shape, I used to ride quite a bit but it's been years and years, what I like about the electric assist is that you can work as hard as you want to, which for me, isn't very hard til I get in better shape.

I rode my buddy's e road bike, man, you can really cover some ground on that thing, I'd like to try something more upright with a little more comfort and a taller sidewall tire, some of the back roads around here are pretty rough, I think there are a few out there that have the 28 mph assist.

Mark911

That's awesome Mark, I love that Haibike!! I made the mistake of looking at Haibike online, good grief their stuff looks gooood. I bought a 2017 leftover Trek Powerfly 8, it's pretty well equipped. I haven't really ridden a mtn bike in several years so I am totally out of shape, I used to ride quite a bit but it's been years and years, what I like about the electric assist is that you can work as hard as you want to, which for me, isn't very hard til I get in better shape.

I rode my buddy's e road bike, man, you can really cover some ground on that thing, I'd like to try something more upright with a little more comfort and a taller sidewall tire, some of the back roads around here are pretty rough, I think there are a few out there that have the 28 mph assist.
I love my wife's Powerfly. It's so much better suited for just playing around than my Downhill bike. For some reason Trek seems to have much better motor control software as well, as she can go just as fast as me and her battery lasts at least 20% longer. Our Giant's use the older Yamaha motors/controls. Much more torque at a lower cadence, which is fine for a road bike. You're right, the 28mph limit is not nearly as popular as the 20. Haibike makes a few more "streetable" road bikes like you described. Others are popping up all the time. Crazy Lenny's back east makes great deals but he's an ass. Be forewarned.

Ireek

I've only ridden a handful of e bikes at this point but I find it interesting that most of them perform so differently, my buddy has a new Scott with the Shimano steps, it's not as smooth as my Bosch but feels pretty strong. Interesting to see what developments come in the future, like E motorcycles, E bikes are rapidly changing.

Oh, I had looked at Crazy Lenny's online, thanks for the warning:)