DIY LHRB that retains the foot brake

F451

I got it from a dutch motorparts webshop.
First i wanted to make one myself.
But when i was shopping for a brakeline it came across.

When you got air in the system it compresses and you loose the firm feel.
And if you only use one finger i think it is just enough to let you think you miss power in the brake.
What also helps is the extra spring under the plunger that keeps the pedal up.
Without it the pedal was not coming completly back up.
So everytime you pull the LHRB it first lifts the footpedal up before the braking starts.
And the extra pull you had to make was quite noticeable.

View attachment 3836

View attachment 3837

Thank you for the info on the bleed bolt and a reminder about the brake lever helper spring. I'm going to order both.

It looks like this Tusk brand bleed screw is very similar to the one you show above, I'm going to try it out with our DIY LHRB setup.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/...sjbod0OMtItBXFbkmb4vFf2sPCONIwuRoCsCgQAvD_BwE

tus_17_eas_ble_ban_bol-ora-1677620001.jpg

Potatonet

If you happen to get a part number on that brake lever helper spring... please forward!

Have been looking for a while and cannot find, Must be special brembo terminology

snydes

Staff member
If routing the brake line through the frame, pay close attention to the proximity to any of the electrical harness components. I have shown the two points that were contact concerns on my bike in the attached pictures (note that the second picture is out of focus, just note the approximate location). I would take all precautions to protect these points of contact and periodically inspect them to ensure there is no possibility of the harnesses being compromised. You can use a plastic flexible wire loom products such as the one pictured in the last picture to go over the brake hose for some protection as well.

IMG_7307.jpg
IMG_7306.jpg
IMG_7308.jpg

F451

Finally getting around to installing a LHRB setup on my '18 MXR while its pouring rain out here.

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a crush washer where the hyraulic cable installs into the brake master? In my case I'm using a clutch master. I couldn't see any in any of the parts fiche's I checked nor any mention of them online. I know I need them for the slave side, just wondering about the master.

IMG_2218-M.jpg

From looking at the shape of the hydraulic line end and the female side of the clutch master it looks like its just a cone shaped press fit. Just thought I would check here while I'm refreshing my memory on how to get this all installed. Thanks.

privateer703

AOF Addict
On the rear brake line from the cylinder to the disc, is there a p/n for the sleeve that snaps the line into the retainer on the swingarm? If I'm ordering a new line from spiegler, do they have that part? Apologies if I missed that somewhere.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
On the rear brake line from the cylinder to the disc, is there a p/n for the sleeve that snaps the line into the retainer on the swingarm? If I'm ordering a new line from spiegler, do they have that part? Apologies if I missed that somewhere.
What kind of brake setup are you building?

It seems there are better ways to do what you are trying to do. Whatever that is youi are trying to do, LOL!

F451

Are you referring to the stock rear brake line that goes from the rear brake pedal/master to the caliper? The line is available from Liquid Performance:

Alta Motors HOSE, BRAKE, REAR 7000203-00 | eBay

Or are you referring to the Alta LHRB line that goes from the brake master/lever mounted on the left handlebar and goes straight to the rear brake caliper? Also available from LP.

Alta Motors HOSE, BRAKE, REAR, HAND OPERATED, WITH MOUNTING CLAMP 7004049-00 | eBay

In both cases it looks like the Alta parts from Liquid Performance have the protective sleeve that snaps into the holder on the swingarm already installed on the line.

privateer703

AOF Addict
I'm talking about the stock line from the original rear brake master to the rear brake caliper (your first link). My issue is that the small clip the line is zip tied to broke, so the line contacts the rear main suspension spring. So they are rubbing together and it really bothers me. So far the only damage is the powder coating on the spring, but I'm worried that continued contact will eventually damage the brake line. If that rear brake line was slightly shorter, with maybe a different angled banjo fitting, I could arrange it so it doesn't loop towards the spring. looking at the custom spiegler designer I believe it is "distance U". Let me know if you think this is a bad idea, OTHER than the fact that I could replace that clip.
brake_line_spiegler.png

F451

I'm talking about the stock line from the original rear brake master to the rear brake caliper (your first link). My issue is that the small clip the line is zip tied to broke, so the line contacts the rear main suspension spring. So they are rubbing together and it really bothers me. So far the only damage is the powder coating on the spring, but I'm worried that continued contact will eventually damage the brake line. If that rear brake line was slightly shorter, with maybe a different angled banjo fitting, I could arrange it so it doesn't loop towards the spring. looking at the custom spiegler designer I believe it is "distance U". Let me know if you think this is a bad idea, OTHER than the fact that I could replace that clip.
View attachment 5443

Mine is doing the same thing, its a strange design having that big of a loop, the way its installed, it naturally wants to interfere with the shock spring. I'm going to see what I can do about it while I'm setting up my LHRB as I'll be retaining the rear brake pedal. I'll probably just zip tie it somehow.

And, I don't know if Spiegler can install that protective sleeve but it seems like a pretty simple/common sleeve. If they can't do it, it shouldn't be too hard to find something to slip over it. You could even slice open the original Alta sleeve and mount in on the new line if Spiegler can't install it for you. Most dirt bikes have a much smaller plastic ring type retainer and no sleeve on the line. I can't recall ever having a problem with excessive wear or damage to a line in that area above the swingarm, but I'm sure it happens from time to time.

Keep us posted if you talk to Spiegler about it

Motophyllic

I justorderes a custom line a few weeks ago from Spiegler with that protective coating over it and they were not able to do it. I ended up having them install (2) 6 inch pieces of shrink tubing and leaving them loose so I can move them around where I wanted them.

F451

FYI, you can order a custom hose from Spiegler, pn EL-1330-001-410 which does not need to be modified. That part number is 1330mm in length, a bit long but allowed me to route the hose so it does not pull at all on the the upper bulk head. That eliminated the worry of the hose rubbing on electrical components. Cost was $72.95 plus shipping. This is for the above set up.

Can you confirm this Spiegler p/n: EL-1330-001-410?

This length would be perfect for my raised bars and I was searching Spiegler's website and can't find it, or anything close to it listed. Tried calling, they are closed for the weekend already.

Some additional questions if anyone knows as I may try to get a line made up this weekend if I can find a local place to do it:
Spiegler p/n EL-1330-001-410, is the banjo fitting angled? If so, what degrees?
What are the banjo fitting specs? 10mm? How about the fluid hole size coming from the hose, does that size matter?
What is hose inner diameter? Does that matter?
Male hose end fitting specs/description? (the end that connects to the left hand brake master/KTM clutch master).

If I can find a local place I will bring the Alta LHRB line that I have so will be able to show them and match up the fittings, but would like the specs on it in case I need to call Spiegler on Monday.

Thanks all.

Motophyllic

The numbers represent the fittings and length. 1330 is a little long. I have 2” Rox Bar lifters and went with 1270mm for the length instead of 1330. You can play it safe with 1330 though if you like. The 410 number is the one end fitting and 001 is the banjo. I went with a 002 banjo because I like the 22 degree bend better. Here’s my order sheet.

69923934-7506-4345-8B92-CA0DFCA935BD.jpeg

F451

The numbers represent the fittings and length. 1330 is a little long. I have 2” Rox Bar lifters and went with 1270mm for the length instead of 1330. You can play it safe with 1330 though if you like. The 410 number is the one end fitting and 001 is the banjo. I went with a 002 banjo because I like the 22 degree bend better. Here’s my order sheet.

View attachment 5448

Very helpful, thank you!

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Super nice people and very helpful.

I left mine long to route it in a way that doesn't pull on the line at all when moving the bars. Shorter is doable as @Motophyllic mentioned