Displays

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
will Alta s operate without a display?
other than battery charge state I’m not sure it’s of much use??
Any thoughts regarding pulling this information so I could (safely) quarantine my display off the bike?

datadog

They will not operate without the display. It is the termination of the CAN bus. Pump and lights will turn on, it will not go into drive.

datadog

It's a normal 120 ohm termination. However, the bus sends a packet and expects a reply from the device. I don't know what that is.

bluefxstc

Maybe the pinholes on the back of the display PCBA could be used for this. There are 9 pinholes, and as far as I understand, Can bus uses 9 pins...
CAN generly uses a 9 pin connector, but only uses 4 of the 9 pins. Pin 2, CAN low. Pin 3, Grd. Pin 7, CAN high. Pin 9, V+ Pins may vary depending on the connector, but just about any 4 pin connector could be used.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
It's a normal 120 ohm termination. However, the bus sends a packet and expects a reply from the device. I don't know what that is.
Hmm perhaps a CAN termination plug isn’t the only answer.
Then we get into building a circuit to mimic the display to ping the ACM controller with correct packet response..

Seems like the ultimate answer is to just build a replacement display. Because no matter how you protect the display it’ll get crunched somehow!
Anyone have a crunched display willing to “donate” into a kickstarter effort to build new ones? Can’t be that much going on in there!? The ACM .. well🤔

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor

Motophyllic

I find it impossible to believe that someone designed the electronics for this bike and made it work so well and that someone else can’t simply hack into it and substitute a different display. Does anyone understand what the display contributes to the can bus? Can’t the packet be mimicked, or the software modified?

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I find it impossible to believe that someone designed the electronics for this bike and made it work so well and that someone else can’t simply hack into it and substitute a different display. Does anyone understand what the display contributes to the can bus? Can’t the packet be mimicked, or the software modified?

I'm sure we'll figure it out.

We need a working piece to test with. And someone that can do the work.

I think we're all kinda waiting on the final final word as well.

bluefxstc

Not a real big problem doing that. You just need the right skill set. I have been on the periphery of people doing that to electric cars. Sniff out the CAN traffic on a working bike, figure out what digital code/traffic means and program a small device (arduino with a CAN shield) to either spoof the commands or control the device depending on the goal. There are people out there that have done this for Tesla drive units/batteries and the drive units of other EVs so it is very possible. All that being said it is not a skill that I have, but it is possible.

Motophyllic

Maybe an electric bicycle controller. It is such a common schematic; battery, BMS, mother board which controls throttle, maps, and battery system. Then, we could create an app that has slide bars for creating custom maps and a button for switching current direction so the bike has reverse. 😃 I’m sure there are a ton of people who could easily do this for us. First problem I have with my bike, that’s the direction I’m going.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe an electric bicycle controller. It is such a common schematic; battery, BMS, mother board which controls throttle, maps, and battery system. Then, we could create an app that has slide bars for creating custom maps and a button for switching current direction so the bike has reverse. 😃 I’m sure there are a ton of people who could easily do this for us. First problem I have with my bike, that’s the direction I’m going.
I would pay at least $500 to the guy who programs a button that would give me 65 hp! And another $500 for the button that will do wheelies for me.