Display Guard - Protect it from crashes!

TonyWilliams

User asked to be "deleted"
Would there be a way to physically mount the display elsewhere? Like above the battery?

Then, perhaps, a simple and nearly disposable display mounted on the bars? Something like 0-99% digital readout? Maybe the high beam indicator? I don’t need speedometer, odometer, limited power, or hour meter while I’m riding.

snydes

Staff member
It's been suggested to move it somewhere safe, could even be a place in the webbing of the subframe under the seat. Another member mounted a separate lighting battery there so there is potentially room. A safe place and a somewhat disposable indicator for the battery SOC would be pretty desirable IMO.

bluefxstc

You could mount the display somewhere safe and then use a phone GPS for distance, speed and time. It wouldn't give you SOC info, but could probably figure that out accurately enough from time, distance and how hard you have been riding. I have a phone mounted on my DRZ that I only use as a GPS for riding BDR routes. Also if we can figure out the CAN commands for the display we should be able to add a simple SOC display to just read and display that info. From my limited CAN knowledge adding a device on the CAN bus should not be an issue.

TonyWilliams

You could mount the display somewhere safe and then use a phone GPS for distance, speed and time. It wouldn't give you SOC info, but could probably figure that out accurately enough from time, distance and how hard you have been riding. I have a phone mounted on my DRZ that I only use as a GPS for riding BDR routes. Also if we can figure out the CAN commands for the display we should be able to add a simple SOC display to just read and display that info. From my limited CAN knowledge adding a device on the CAN bus should not be an issue.

Yes, CAN data for SOC% will be simple. The display can be a $10 Chinese thing.

bluefxstc

This would probably be the most desirable solution, but to do this we need to know the code correct?
Yes, from my understanding, which is limited, the CAN message is basically an address, or message ID, and the data. The address identify what the data is, in this case SOC and the data gives the value. You would need a device that looked for the address, then decoded and then displayed the value. Pretty easy task for a reasonably competent programmer, but outside my skill set.

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
Yes, CAN data for SOC% will be simple. The display can be a $10 Chinese thing.
If you are able to decipher CAN data, the most desired solution would be to figure out what data the display is sending to the CAN bus, and create a complete new display. This would be a major help to those who are currently down with broken displays.

TonyWilliams

If you are able to decipher CAN data, the most desired solution would be to figure out what data the display is sending to the CAN bus, and create a complete new display. This would be a major help to those who are currently down with broken displays.

Yes, I get that. It’s probably easier to find the vendor who supplies the display in Taiwan for that goal.

Again, deciphering the CAN data (easy) and using a simple display is also easy. Since I have no idea why a simple display could disable the vehicle, it would need a little digging until a duplicate display could be promised.

bluefxstc

Given the problems with replacing a factory Alta display, my vote would be a slave display that just displays data. If we had that we could move the interactive (existing) display to somewhere safe. That way if I break the slave display it is easy to replace without the need to interface/initialize with an Alta computer.

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
Yes, I get that. It’s probably easier to find the vendor who supplies the display in Taiwan for that goal.

Again, deciphering the CAN data (easy) and using a simple display is also easy. Since I have no idea why a simple display could disable the vehicle, it would need a little digging until a duplicate display could be promised.
As far as we understand, the broken display causes a no run state because the system is looking for a response from the display.

bluefxstc

As far as we understand, the broken display causes a no run state because the system is looking for a response from the display.
I believe this to be true. The bike sends a command to the display and expects a response. Until the bike receives the requested response it will not operate. If the display is broken, the bike never receives a response, so the bike is effectively dead. If we move the factory display, the one that responds to the bikes request, to somewhere on the bike that is protected, we could have a satellite slave display where we can see it. The slave display could be mounted wherever you wanted it, would only interpret and display data with no interactive requirement so if you crashed and broke it, no big deal. Just plug in a new one and you are off and running.

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
I believe this to be true. The bike sends a command to the display and expects a response. Until the bike receives the requested response it will not operate. If the display is broken, the bike never receives a response, so the bike is effectively dead. If we move the factory display, the one that responds to the bikes request, to somewhere on the bike that is protected, we could have a satellite slave display where we can see it. The slave display could be mounted wherever you wanted it, would only interpret and display data with no interactive requirement so if you crashed and broke it, no big deal. Just plug in a new one and you are off and running.

This is good for us with working displays. I'm trying to consider the few of us who are SOL with a busted OEM unit.

bluefxstc

This is good for us with working displays. I'm trying to consider the few of us who are SOL with a busted OEM unit.
Agreed, it only protects those with working displays and doesn't solve the problem for those with existing broken displays. Once you figure out the message traffic for the display probably not a big jump to make it interactive to respond to the bike requests.

Trialsman

Got sidelined a little with the CNC as he had a rush job for a regular customer. He promised he will run the parts this weekend. I did get the first test piece from him which was designed as an EX forward mount with a steering stabilizer. I have it mounted on my bike and am going woods riding Saturday for a field test. The other units will be for an EX forward mount from handlebar clamps and a rear mount from handlebar clamps for the MX but with no stabilizer. I fitted neoprene between the display sides and the guard to isolate it a little more. It tucks down and in really well so it should do a great job protecting the display. The other EX style will not have the center mount but two mounts for the handlebar clamps.

IMG_5346.jpgIMG_5347.jpg

Fog 25

I don’t look at my display while riding. So hiding it wouldn’t be a problem for me. I just need to check it to see where the battery is when I come back in.

snydes

Staff member
I can't stress enough how important it's going to be for all owners to protect their displays. Worst case I think we are going to be able to come up with a replacement display solution but it's not going to be cheap. Trialsmans protector is going to be money well spent.