Display Guard - Protect it from crashes!

Trialsman

To order this product:
Alta Vault EX or MX Display Module Protection Device | Keith Products

There has been some discussion on the thread concerning the solution for a broken display. If it is already done it is tough, but PREVENT it from happening.

I posted some photos of the prototype I machined to protect my unit. I have sent materials, drawings, and the prototype to another to have CNCed for a limited run. I priced it out and will still go with the original figure of $99 plus shipping, which I think will be $7.20 Priority CONUS. It will be made of 6061 aircraft aluminum and will be anodized. The hardware will be stainless. Weight of the prototype was 6 ounces and I expect the final will be just under that. It will attach to the brackets on the top triple clamp but also attach to the handlebar mounts for maximum rigidity. Although nothing is an absolute certainty, I like my chances having this unit protecting my own display.

My bike is a '17 MX that I retrofitted the '18 EX lighting. I am using the EX display bracket but have a way to use it for a MX with the number plate. Instead of being in the vulnerable position above the bars it is relocated lower and behind the light or number plate. The display is also isolated by foam surrounding the sides. All lights visible and buttons accessible with the guard in place. As soon as I get the units back I will post further pictures before anodizing. When they are complete I will give the link to purchase one for your bike.

I want my bike to run for a very long time. The best way is to stay upright, but sometimes things happen and this will help to avoid my bike becoming a stationary brick.

IMG_5326.jpg

Trialsman

"Supercool. I'll definitely buy one... now that I've become an expert at crashing my Redshift!"

I haven't achieved that level of "success" yet, but I did design it for an occasional dirt nap! For a bike this good to have such an Achille's heel is so unexpected. I love my Alta and have only had my FreeRide out once since I got it. It is going to take a week or so until the next step, but I will post the progress along the way. Anyone that responds they are interested I will make sure you are on the list of people who get one when they come up for sale.
Thanks in advance.

sadams

Very nice! Since I busted my headlight assembly on a tree yesterday and just barely missed the display, count me and my brother in on two please.

Trialsman

Hey guys leave enough that I can have one for my bike. Ha ha. I need to find an MXR in the Pgh area to get some measurements to see if I can help those that want a mount behind the steering stem. Anyone nearby with one shoot me a PM.

snydes

Staff member
Hey guys leave enough that I can have one for my bike. Ha ha. I need to find an MXR in the Pgh area to get some measurements to see if I can help those that want a mount behind the steering stem. Anyone nearby with one shoot me a PM.

I'm up above Harrisburg but I'm also a machinist. If you need measurements I should be able to take them for you. FYI I believe the triple clamps are the same on all the Alta off road bikes.

ghebinkim

Count me in!

Just to be clear, does this housing provide all of the required mounting locations to re-locate the display? I have an MX bar pad display, not an EX.

Trialsman

I will be making a mount for the MX as well as the EX style. I have the basic unit prototyped and programed, it is the mounting brackets to the steering stem I will finish in the next few days. As soon as I design it I will post up the results. If I have to I will tear off the front end of my MX, remove the steering stabilizer, and reassemble to do the test fitting. One way or another it will get done. I will post details and pictures of each before anyone needs to commit. Except me - I am committed, or should have been long ago.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor

Are you going to remove the Ohlins v2 if you relocate the display for the MX bikes? I was thinking the v2 might be the last upgrade for my MX.

Trialsman

Are you going to remove the Ohlins v2 if you relocate the display for the MX bikes? I was thinking the v2 might be the last upgrade for my MX.
I intend to keep the Ohlins damper but if I need to remove everything to get the measurements and fitting I will do that. It will go right back on afterwards as I like the low and in front of the bars location for myself. The damper really cuts down the loose front end feel of stock. I think it was a very good upgrade.