Display alternative with additional features

querlenker

Hello,

i was concerned when i read a damaged display will stop the bike. So i did some research and as mentioned here, simply adding a termination resistor into the can network, won`t solve the problem. I checked this before. Thats why i decided to avoid that scenario for me and a friend and build something. So for anyone with no oportunity to buy an original Alta display, i may have a solution. It will be more expensive but offer also more functionality. Right now it's stil under development, i think i will test it next week on the bike.

- Standart displayed features will be: Speed, Odometer, Battery, Map, Error Codes, GPS Speed, GPS location, Laptimes, Datalogs
- Indicator lights can be included as well, more data like throttle position also possible
- Additional premium features: 3 digital inputs for example for wheel sensors or switches, 3 analog imputs for example front and rear suspension, temperatures or brake pressure

I used the same system on the electric bikes i was involved and will use it on our Alta this year. I will not share the can matrix or special details, so need to ask for, I will help when i can. The system consists of an AIM Solo 2 DL display, which plugs in the Alta harness. For the premium features an additional microcontroller and sensors are added.

The system looks like this (a picture of the mounted Display will follow):
IMG_4977.jpg

BTW, anyone faster, more milage or Map 5? :)
IMG_5170.JPG

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
This is huge! Let me move this into some more appropriate place...

I have used the AiM Solo logger, although without external inputs, 3-4 years ago to show me lap times. It worked, although it did not show me the time in the air, and I couldn't tell which racing lines I was taking and when. Maybe their software has improved since then. But this unit is made primarily for go karts. The logging version costs $700. For that money I'd rather buy the LitPro with an iPad, if I want to improve my riding.

querlenker

This is huge! Let me move this into some more appropriate place...

I have used the AiM Solo logger, although without external inputs, 3-4 years ago to show me lap times. It worked, although it did not show me the time in the air, and I couldn't tell which racing lines I was taking and when. Maybe their software has improved since then. But this unit is made primarily for go karts. The logging version costs $700. For that money I'd rather buy the LitPro with an iPad, if I want to improve my riding.

The gps is improved in the Solo 2, but you are right, there maybe better options for improving riding style out there. I prefer the Solo DL because you can log can bus stream and easily put other data also on the can and log it. Make monitoring stuff and developing easier. I build complete own hardware before, but ended with the solo as display and gps and my own additional microcontroller for more inputs. With this configuration you can log suspension, battery/motor/controller temps, currents and all the stuff you are interested in. And yes you can also see your lines on the racetrack and where you brake too early..

querlenker

eek - $400 usd just for the display? I am working on a 3.2" oled arduino w/ 3d printed case - similar form factor and metrics to oem... <$100.
When you add WiFi, gps, gyroscope, accelometer, rtc, fast storage memory, scratch resistant glass, rigid housing, high quality miniature connectors - you end with other numbers. But you are right, the solo 2 dl is expensive. But you also get analysis software, you won’t write over night.
Personally I don’t like oled, especially the cheap, as they are not good readable in the sunlight or from all sides, ok ips is good from angles but same problem in sunlight.

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
That stuff all sounds awesome, but what we really need the most is a replacement with only OEM functionality.
The bike already has Accelerometer and gyro on board, so figuring out a way to communicate with those would be nice.

Good to know there is at least a solution on the way though. Thanks!

allesad

Why can't this be done using an old iPhone or Android?
Both has enough storage, processing power, touch screen and build in accelerators, ect.
Could be flashed as a dedicated device? or a mobile app.

Oded

The top speed has been electronically limited to 99 mph!

Is it really only 99 km/h in metric units as well?? That's just 61.5 mph, any stock Redshift can go faster than that! @Oded

My EX is using metric measurements, and can reach over 100 km/h. Did not check max speed.

querlenker

Start-up Screen:
01.jpg

Main Screen:
1.jpg

Temperatures (some errors on this srceen, old image):
2.jpg

Errors screen:
3.jpg

Throttle active indicator:
Link

I am now able to display several temperatures, for example, battery, inverter and motor.

I did implement some kind of indicator for the activation of the trottle. With throttle enabled and no speed, it blinks (color adjustable), when you start riding it turns the leds off. Same functionality but doesnt look as good as the Alta animation.

The OEM Alta display is pretty fine for the avarage user, this one here, like said before, is for more advanced use or development. Ok it makes the bike also run again if the OEM display is damaged, but that was not my intent. Right now i am able to display and log nearly everything whats going on in the bike, add the gps data and other things (like suspension) and you have a nice toy to play with.