Cycle Key To Erase Battery Error

Moto Man

I raced my 2017 MX in a Hare Scramble on September 22. The next day I cleaned it and charged it, everything was good. This past weekend I was going to do some practice/trailriding, tuned the key on and it showed no battery. I hooked it up to the charger and got a message saying "Cycle Key To Erase Battery Error", and would not do anything else. Tried cycling the key, reconnected the charger several times. No dice.
I hope the dealer can do something with it quick, I'm racing again on October 6.
Anybody else had this problem?

Moto Man

The bike is at the dealer. They told me they are doing a "data dump" to Alta. I guess that means Alta wants to look at the software for some sort of corruption or glitch in the code.
I will post as I get updates.

Moto Man

Got a call from the dealer about an hour ago.
Bad news: The battery will have to be replaced.
Good news: Alta will cover it.
Bad news: New battery will not arrive until next week.
Really Good News: The Alta rep for this area has a battery and will deliver it to the dealer, so it can be installed by end of day Friday!
Then when the new battery arrives I return the bike to have it installed.
I should be racing Saturday.
Way to go Alta!! I will sing your praises far and wide.
I didn't want to have to race my fossil fuel powered noise maker.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
That's great news! It's been my experience that Alta will go above and beyond when you have their attention. A failed battery pack will definitely get their attention!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, so you got to see the secret laptop and the software? Or did the rep do it with a black sheet over top of them :D
Yes, I did. It didn't seem to be all that interesting though. Although I forgot to ask whether that laptop had the permissions to adjust and create new maps. That would be very cool.
Sounds like some favoritism happening....... lol
LOL! I'd like to think so. Actually, it was me who came to the Alta demo day. But I told Alta where that demo day should be. ;)

enjoythesilenc

There are a lot of threads like this (pre shutdown) where Alta fixed a bike and no explanation was given for the failure.

Looking back, what would be the most likely failure here?

snydes

Staff member
I think this fault will come up for a variety of issues, but I could be wrong. I know of at least one instance where it was a fault within the battery, and if I recall correctly I even had this one come up on the SM I was working on that had a bad charger.