Custom YZ450F Conversion

bayodome

This guy just completed a beautiful YZ450 conversion that looks like it was a couple years in the making. Even got Brett Cue to take it for a spin. It's at least nice to see a builder use someone who actually knows how to ride (and ride very, very well) to showcase their bike's abilities.

Check out the SSE Facebook Page

130236764_957603221511307_6190661155009356981_o.jpg

131118763_961019577836338_7669550716282161531_o.jpg

DonCox

Dain
Tell me about the problems you had with Kelly Controller, most importantly not putting out full power. I am beginning to suspect that on mine. It is hard to log with their stuff, but I have 3 x 72(84)V packs. I run each one separately, and I can get 200A out of each. But I put all 3 together and my current meters (I have 1 one on each pack,) and they only show about 100A each. The power is better, but I I think it should be a lot better. It does ok at the track, but I rode mine and then an ALTA, and my power just isn't the same.
if you could share with me your experience with Kelly. I have a Kelly 48V 500A brushed motor KTM and I get 370A out. I am going to try asking for 500A, my battery pack on that bike has 675A now, and see what I get. When I first built it it only had 400A prismatic setup. But that controller works OK as you said with your experience.
You're video and talk with Brett Cue was really good. I'm going to have to find one of my pro buddies to try mine and evaluate it.
Still a works in progress. What controller are you running now. My buddy is building his , a ME1304 with a 450A ASI controller. 72V. He should be rolling pretty soon. We will get some feedback on that. He is running the same current meter. They max out at 400A. I am going to, tomorrow, put 1 current meter on the main 3 pack trunk and see what I get. Sure glad these bikes are quiet, my neighbors don't even know I'm running up and down the street, and some of them have already ridden it. My street leads to the desert here in Lake Havasu City AZ, so there is usually noise. This place is great, you can ride dirt bikes up and down the street the desert, and no hassle.

Dain_SSE

I've had several Kelly 8080 96601 controllers that functioned for a short period of time before failing. I only ever saw maybe half of peak power, I've used some of their brushed controllers and like their "HPM" which have electronic reversing but now they discontinued... I am using Sevcon G4's now, was about the only option that could do the higher voltage. I chatted with an ASI engineer and they wanted me to run more like 60V for a custom unit that would do 800A or so. Having a good system balance is key, tremendously high amperage just makes heat, needs heavy wire etc. Some friends and I will hopefully make it our west to ride this year sometime, we'll see!

enjoythesilenc

Im working on a conversion bike and am entertaining running dual controllers. Don't these Yamaha conversions both run split phase motors? I'm skeered of sevcons for some reason:) ( i could run two smaller, cheaper, easier to live with controllers, potentially)

DonCox

Good question. I just read a post on somebody selling a ZF75-7 motor that he had split the stator lines and ran 2 smaller controllers ( it was a 2 year old post).
FS:Zero ZF75-7, Size6 Sevcon, programmer and a few other...
It seems very doable. What kind of power do you want? There is a CR Conversion with the ZF75-7 motor using a ASI BAC8000, and that rips. But you are limited to 72V 450A or like Dain said above, ASI might be able to do 60V and 800A. I like standard shelf items. I have another DIY friend who hasn't had a good experience with the big Sevcons either, and he is going to a Curtis that is being built special. But it is still limited on the output Amps. Zero says they sell parts, and the have a 550A and a 775A controller. I just emailed earlier today asking about availability, and cost.
My motor seem good, but as I talked about up above, I don't seem to be getting the Current I want. And I didn't get to test my bike today (I said I was going to do that today), but it rained here. The first real rain in about 275 days here in the Arizona desert. Luckily we are on the Colorado river. But no power tests on wet pavement with a dirt bike tire...
Keep us up on what you end up doing. We are going to be testing the BAC8000 controller here soon on a CR with an ME1304 motor. ASI is kind of weak on there help, but we got some info and programming from a European source, for a few dollars. I have been working with Kelly for the last 6 months, and that help was good, but very hard to get all the details you need from them. Anyone trying to program a Kelly KLS 72701 8080IPS with a ME1302, I have some setting that almost work... and I would share if you want them.