Custom eBike build

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
This is ambitious but flawed, unfortunately. It uses the same architecture as my old Stealth Bomber. I didn't like that bike, and actually hated it considering I paid $12K for it two years ago. I sold it as quickly as I could.

Powerful and heavy hub motors do not work on off-road bikes. Riding this bike would mean pinch flats and dinged/cracked rims every time you hit a small rock or pothole. Also, they jump and fly very unpredictably with such a high unsprung mass. You never know whether the rear end will kick or deflect.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
Critique taken

However this build was intended for urban commuting
Hopping curbs are the extreme usage
I have far far less money in the build even with the blown initial controller due to the lack of power bleed in regen mode with a full battery
Rides the bike paths & sidewalks past traffic like a magic carpet...

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
Range test is undefined but similar to our Altas - speed elevation gain is the determining factor - would guess @ 20mph faux pedaling bike lanes 100mi+ / 70mph on the interstate maybe 20mi

Y passing cops in the bike lane is requesting grief...
technically if its considered a bicycle they are limited by most DMVs as 28mph of 'assistance'

I have passed law enforcement on foot on bike trail while they knew something was afoot with the 'bike' my faux pedaling & 20 mph speed exchanged pleasantries as I rode past

respect & courtesy go a long way even if this thing rides in a gray area ~

VINSANITY

I like the bike, where did you get the controller and the battery from?

My other hobby (besides the Alta) is building this thing - it’s a motoped frame - I got it from Hi-Power Cycles but have been modifying it ever since - it’s about 8000 watts, 90volt x 28 amp hour - does about 30 ish mph but has tons of torque for off road riding - get 20 miles range riding it hard (similar to the Alta)

Recently upgraded to a QS motor and Sabvoton sine wave controller - really robust and doesn’t overheat even when riding hard for a long time - the centralized mass is much better from a handling perspective

49696E2C-0BC3-4FA7-A8DD-8C860A56727C.jpeg

416CF1E2-787F-46B9-89BB-D2AE5013FB39.jpeg

ACA9C278-52B6-43A9-A790-10AECF2E6AF6.png

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
as I get more time on the bike I understand what you & phillip were saying regarding my bikes performance deadfalls
but as intended commuter build for bike paths it works very well & has actually sped up my commute times as I'm always moving at slower speeds but not sitting in traffic/lights

controller is a sabvoton 72150
battery is custom shaped to fit in frame 72v 40ah panasonic 18650s
so far I'm using about 20% battery capacity to travel the 16mi to work

no overheating issues but concerned about water intrusion
Reliability is TBD

BTW - I like your build !

Reactions: Rix

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
Update: I had a good crash this am going to work
Wet raining diagonal across double train tracks are not advisable

Threw my rear rim out of true due to high side event. Controller went into protection mode. Had to call in a ride the rest of way to work or I’d still be pedaling! Went & got bike after work & did a hall calibration on motor. Alls well...

VINSANITY

Hope you are OK and equally important - “how’s the bike”

When you get the chance can you send me the contact information for your battery builder - I would like to get a custom battery built.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
Ha ha yeah riders know adrenaline kicks in & it’s immediately look bike over! 🤪 I got slapped down pretty good or maybe a little wussy in my old age ... nothing broken guy stopped said he saw me go down & seemed surprised 😮 I was up troubleshooting bike!

Bent handlebars busted rear wheel but bike works fine after setting all day powered down. Motor was making horrible vibration but recaled hall sensors & it’s smooth again

I’ll pm battery supplier in China in am.
That was the very frustrating part when starting this build not knowing a thing about the guts of an eBike. Very few if any read zero US suppliers of the big power eBike components they are all in China. Shipping via slow ass boats... quality control is always questionable 🙄🙄

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
My Sabvoton Controller has a Bluetooth function via iPhone app

Some settings are adjustable some are adjustable but have no effect on functionality

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
interesting revelations have this contoller inop if display is inactive similar to our Altas ...