Coolant pump running while charging, why?

bluefxstc

In the coolant pump not running thread, Mark911 stated, "The water cooling is for the inverter and motor only. The pack is cooled via convection just like our old air cooled bikes". I have no reason to doubt that, but if true and I think it is, then why does the coolant pump run while charging? I always assumed it was because it was cooling the pack, but based on Mark911's statement, and pictures on the Alta web site, I think that was a false assumption. I know the motor doesn't need to be cooled while charging and I can't think of a reason to cool the inverter since it is an off board charger, so what is the bike cooling? :unsure:

rayivers

so what is the bike cooling

Probably nothing... but if the ACM contains or activates the low-voltage DC-DC converter for the electronics and powers on with the main contactor, it's possible everything the ACM controls (pump, etc.) fires up too. A simple electronics/harness block diagram would be a nice reference item to include in the manual.

Jon

I would imagine that the BMS and a lot of the associated wiring is also pretty close to the inverter. Either way, there is a lot of current going into the bike; More cooling is better than less cooling, and if you are already drawing wall power, why not run the pump?