Converting charger to 230v

Neal 408

I would like to convert my charger from 110 to 240v . It looks to be as simple as changing input whip to reflect two hits A&B phase and leaving the ground? Does anyone know if that is correct and much it reduces charge time?
Thanks
Neal

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
It is simple, and I think what you are saying is correct, but I am not familiar with the terminology you are using.

Can't help on charging time Delta, as I am using the R pack charger that was delivered in 240v configuration. But best guess, it should enable you to do a complete charge in around 2hrs.

snydes

Staff member
I would like to convert my charger from 110 to 240v . It looks to be as simple as changing input whip to reflect two hits A&B phase and leaving the ground? Does anyone know if that is correct and much it reduces charge time?
Thanks
Neal

Yes.
Charge times depends on the charger and the bike type, but in general terms it should be twice as fast.

Judaslefourbe

If you are talking about the offboard charger, both models (standard and R) work on both 120V and 240V, so you should not have to change anything.
If you are talking about the pigtail, you should find plenty of info on this forum.

Neal 408

Yes it is the charger pack not in the bike.
I saw that it works with both 110 & 240. 110 uses a hot , neutral and a ground. 240 is two hots and a ground . Not sure if phasing comes into play here with this charger. The 110 & 240 plug ends are different. Is there any internal switching changes in the charger or is it just a matter of changing plug ends? Will output voltage be good at plug end they goes into the bike?
Thanks

Neal

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
No adjustments to the charger required, it will adapt to supplied voltage automatically. Easiest way is to simply make an adapter for the pigtail.

Neal 408

👍
That’s kind of what I was hoping. That way you can use it with 110 and 240 just remove the adapter. Do you know if the charge time is reduced? Cheers

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Charge time using 240v is approximately half as long as using 110v. And having a pigtail adapter allows you to easily use whichever voltage is available at a location. That seems to be what most of us here do that I have met.