Converting an SM to EX

Jaron

What does it take to convert an SM to an Ex? I don't need a 100% conversion but just something good enough to let me use it as an Enduro bike.
Tires - not a problem.
Suspension - can I tune/calibrate the existing ones?
Can I use the same "maps"? Is it sensitive enough?
What else?
Thanks in advance!
Jaron.

Oded

Hi Jaron.
The SM maps are good for enduro.had them on my EX before updating the software.
Hard regen brake in map 4 which is quite good for steep descends is the major difference.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
The front brake on the SM is the much larger brembo brake that Alta offered. If your going to Enduro are you planning to switch out brakes? (Or just switch out the SM tires for some knobbish ones?)

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
I really don't know... that's why I'm asking. Should I? What are the pros and cons?
The pros are you bike will have more tire selection and work way way better off road with an 18x2.15 rear rim and a 21x1.60 front rim. You will get more ground clearance in the process as well. The cons are it won't work as well on pavement, and enduro tires will not last as long as the SM tires on pavement. The rest of the stuff is a matter of suspension revalving for off road and stuff like that. As far as your large front disk brake goes, its fine, just note that the rotor will be more proned to damage/ding in the rocks over the smaller off road option as its larger. That said, you do have more stopping power with less lever effort.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member

Blatant Moto

You won’t be able to relace or install a 21 on the front without grinding down the existing brake caliper. To do it right you’d want to switch out the front end, but that’s super expensive. I put 50/50 knobbies on my SM and geared it down just a tad and I love it in dry rocky conditions, while still being able to knock about on road nicely.

A04F1A59-7BB3-4805-8FAD-538C27E30D16.jpeg

Butch

Poseur
I have an SM with dirt and street wheels. The 17 on the front is SM specific, so no, my set up is not compatible with the SM fork/ brake OEM.

I might have a problem doing repetitive stoppies.