Complete Battery Pack Teardown

CookieMonster

I think he has the cell count wrong. I determined 21 per module. This matches the multi tool data. So 6 parallel and 21 series 18650 cells per module and 4 modules per pack. Typical pack voltage of 3.6Vx21x4=302.4V. Current ratings sound reasonable. Also the LTC6803 multicell battery cell monitor only has two tnermister inputs. There are two per module or four cell temps per module. Multi tool appears to displays the thermal inputs as temp0-3 and LTC Temp 0 and 1 must be the LTC6803 IC temperature.

Anyway enjoy the show.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
That's a great video showing the tear down of the pack and its internals. I've seen a lot of pictures but seeing video of it explains things a lot better to me.

Note at 11:42, he shows the 4 Thermal Couple locations on the PCB. You can see all 4 of these temperatures for each module in Multitool. Good to know their exact location on each PCB to help give a sense of where the heat is.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Max voltage on the cells is currently limited to roughly 4.05v which makes the total pack voltage upwards of 340-350v when fully charged and balanced.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The guy is trying to add a fifth module to increase the voltage for his land speed record project.

Apparently, the four modules are not all the same. There are two masters and two slaves, with masters hosting the "BRD" controllers. One BRD per two modules.

I am wondering if the modules are indeed not interchangeable. This would complicate out repair/replacement strategy where you'd be able to take apart one good pack to repair four bad ones.

snydes

Staff member
There are small plug in boards along the sides. A master and a slave. You can swap those boards around and interchange modules any way you like.

snydes

Staff member
Good to see an R pack made it into the hands of some dude looking to create a Frankenstein fire hazard and not the owners of bikes that need one. Glad the months of making contacts and putting the word out really paid off (y)

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Good to see an R pack made it into the hands of some dude looking to create a Frankenstein fire hazard and not the owners of bikes that need one. Glad the months of making contacts and putting the word out really paid off (y)
Is there any desire to sue Armanino, Faster Faster ABC, BRP, etc? A class auction lawsuit won't cost much per person, but would surely get us something.

Mark911

It's like politics. The real needs never get addressed, only the folks with contacts or money.

snydes

Staff member
We made a big mistake by not taking Reckonings advice and pushing for involuntary bankruptcy. All this ABC nonsense did was enable Armanino to selectively take care of their buddies. The end result is still no Alta or new company looking to build bikes and absolutely NO transparency with the handling of assets. Lies and deceit, that’s what we got.

snydes

Staff member
Is there any desire to sue Armanino, Faster Faster ABC, BRP, etc? A class auction lawsuit won't cost much per person, but would surely get us something.

Hell, I’d sue them myself just for the satisfaction of making them address an owner.