Code 37 second time.

Duramax327

Hey what’s going on, I got the code 37 cleared it came back
6 hours later

Both times it went on after I hooked It up to a 110 outlet never at the track with my 220

And both times it was at zero battery life

And both times it was dirty and not washed before it came on

If you have any advice please let me know I appreciate any help I’m a little worried now that it’s done it twice.
Also multitool will not let me clear it now.

E542245E-E9B9-40DB-A058-1F5E4F333A0E.jpeg

8E364C69-13CF-4875-B614-964B826973CB.jpeg

snydes

Staff member
Well, I don’t know of anyone who had this code where there actually was a moisture problem, but there could always be a first time. I had a discussion with another Alta buddy awhile back where their two bikes had both thrown the code, one showed 60 percent in MT, the other 65. I had then checked my two bikes for reference and had 39 and 44 percent humidity showing in MT (no codes). Maybe 50 percent is the threshold for the alarm? I’m not sure. Replacing the cover and throwing in a fresh desiccant pack isn’t terribly difficult, you just want to be sure to reseal the cover properly or you could end up with a worse problem.

Mark911

Not sure about the humidity problem but I'm surprised you're not getting a code for battery pack imbalance, module 1 is quite a bit lower than the others.

Duramax327

Not sure about the humidity problem but I'm surprised you're not getting a code for battery pack imbalance, module 1 is quite a bit lower than the others.
Spoke to rashid im pretty confident with his advice on the humidity sensor. As for the modules there all around 23 where are you seeing or reading one is way off of 2 3 4?

snydes

Staff member
On the dash tab, module 4 is .34v lower than module 2. That’s close to the threshold where it kicks the imbalance code.

snydes

Staff member
Oh man.... my bad! I’m looking at temperatures! This is what happens when you try and do too many things at once! Sorry man! I’m going to be quiet now :censored:

Mark911

85.61 vs 85.65. That's 0.04v delta. Doesn't sound like much at the module level but look at the max/min P group numbers, 4.07 and 4.08. That's 0.01v, I've seen code 36 with less than that. These BMS's will typically balance (if left to finish) to within .002v. 4.07/8 is almost full. I'd let it sit on the charger until it turns off and check again.

snydes

Staff member
Sheesh, I gotta pay more attention to what I’m typing (and reading)... yeah, It’s .035v (not .35v... facepalm) that was the threshold for kicking the code 36 based on my experiences. The imbalance only goes into the red at I believe .025v when viewing the battery tab in MT. This isn’t to say that is the only time it triggers, just the point where the code 36 would trigger on the ones I’ve worked with. As far as the balancing, I had tracked the imbalance on an problem pack and the most it would improve on every balance cycle was .0015v. I found out the hard way you can’t expect the BMS to do more than that.

Mark911

Sheesh, I gotta pay more attention to what I’m typing (and reading)... yeah, It’s .035v (not .35v... facepalm) that was the threshold for kicking the code 36 based on my experiences. The imbalance only goes into the red at I believe .025v when viewing the battery tab in MT. This isn’t to say that is the only time it triggers, just the point where the code 36 would trigger on the ones I’ve worked with. As far as the balancing, I had tracked the imbalance on an problem pack and the most it would improve on every balance cycle was .0015v. I found out the hard way you can’t expect the BMS to do more than that.

Yea, I'd need to see the battery tab view to be sure. Exactly, the BMS on the Alta has a very weak balance current compared to most of the aftermarket BMS's I work with. Even the el-cheapo China units allow connectivity, manual balance and adjustable balance current.

John Lindemann

Hey what’s going on, I got the code 37 cleared it came back
6 hours later

Both times it went on after I hooked It up to a 110 outlet never at the track with my 220

And both times it was at zero battery life

And both times it was dirty and not washed before it came on

If you have any advice please let me know I appreciate any help I’m a little worried now that it’s done it twice.
Also multitool will not let me clear it now.

View attachment 6849

View attachment 6850
I’ve had code 37 showing for over 6 months. The bike works fine and my Dad always said “if it ain’t broke don’t try to fix it” so that’s where I’m at. It is good to know that it probably has no moisture and that’s what makes a forum like this so valuable.

snydes

Staff member
Ironically I was recently alerted of the first occurrence that I am aware of where a code 37 was triggered in a battery that actually had a moisture issue. The results were not good. I would say that particular situation was the exception, but I wouldn’t immediately right off the possibility of a problem when a code 37 is triggered. I wish there was a more reliable indicator for a potential moisture issue than the hit or miss code, that’s for certain.

privateer703

AOF Addict
So I just got a Code 37 this morning. This is the first time I've pulled the bike out after winter storage so I know that there isn't much moisture in the battery. I don't have MT so I'm just going to run it since it doesn't seem like this will cause any issues. Do these codes sometimes go away on their own? Or will I absolutely need MT to clear it?

Duramax327

So I just got a Code 37 this morning. This is the first time I've pulled the bike out after winter storage so I know that there isn't much moisture in the battery. I don't have MT so I'm just going to run it since it doesn't seem like this will cause any issues. Do these codes sometimes go away on their own? Or will I absolutely need MT to clear it?
Have someone lean your bike back and fourth listen for a sloshing sand sound if you hear this sound desiccant bag has popped. If firmware hasn’t been updated to the newest available 1.5.1 then that’s a possible fix as well. Desiccant bags available on liquid performance it’s on the bottom super easy to change.
210-912-0600 if you have questions

snydes

Staff member
If replacing the desiccant bag, be sure and smooth/deburr all the edges of the metal retainer as it is very sharp and can cut into the bag.

privateer703

AOF Addict
The easiest way to replace is to flip the bike over and remove the bottom battery cover, without removing battery completely, correct? So let me ask this, I've read that this can be a false reading. If I replace the bag, will the code go away if it is a false reading? Or at that point will I need MT to clear the code? I'm guessing I should start with MT to make sure it's not a firmware issue.