Charging Redshift SM with EVSE Adapter

HadesOmega

So I visited Rashid510 to get Redshift SM39's firmware updated to the latest version before Alta went away check out my vlog. But now that I have the latest firmware I attempt to charge the bike at 240 Volts again with limited success.

Alta Redshift SM 240V EVSE Adapter Charge Experiment After Firmware Update

Alta Redshift SM 39 Public Charge Station Charging Experiment - So I finally was able to charge SM39 at 240 Volts time to see if can charge at public charge stations. This would make riding the Redshift longer distances possible. I tried a Volta charge station and several Chargepoint Stations. The results not good...

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
A 122 error means "AC Voltage Low". I think what might be happening is that the adapter you have is giving you the correct pinout connections between the J1172 and the 5-20r, but the internal charger is not communicating with the charging station. Therefore, the charging station might not really be supplying any power to the bike at all. At home, I doubt if your charging station needs to establish a handshake with the charger before it starts to supply power. But the public charging stations do, so that it can tell the charger how much power it can use, it is connected, etc. Just a theory. I bet if you brought your multimeter to the charging station, you would be getting zero voltage at the plug, because the charging station doesn't think anything is plugged in. I'm not an expert on public charging stations, but I've heard that's how they work. I believe there might be some "smart" adapters that establish a handshake and tell the charging station it is connected.

HadesOmega

A 122 error means "AC Voltage Low". I think what might be happening is that the adapter you have is giving you the correct pinout connections between the J1172 and the 5-20r, but the internal charger is not communicating with the charging station. Therefore, the charging station might not really be supplying any power to the bike at all. At home, I doubt if your charging station needs to establish a handshake with the charger before it starts to supply power. But the public charging stations do, so that it can tell the charger how much power it can use, it is connected, etc. Just a theory. I bet if you brought your multimeter to the charging station, you would be getting zero voltage at the plug, because the charging station doesn't think anything is plugged in. I'm not an expert on public charging stations, but I've heard that's how they work. I believe there might be some "smart" adapters that establish a handshake and tell the charging station it is connected.

Hmm I have tested a Volta station with a multimeter and it came out to 240volts. I have gotten my 72V charger to charge with this adapter at a couple chargepoint stations. The adapter should send a signal to the chargestation to send power. Some of the evse were normal outdoor evse like the Webasto and Leviton. Will keep trying every chance I get, I'll bring a multimeter with me.

Kurlon

I'm guessing that adapter is hard set for 240v with a fixed resistance on the control line, some chargers will just roll with that, guessing others want to see a full proper handshake sequence?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
A lot of newer EV bikes use not so "smart" chargers...one nuance of the Alta SM charger was that its really picky with grounds and also voltages...I recall I used my Alta SM to test some electrical outlets at a site in SF I used to work at and it got picky with some bad 110V outlets (which ended up having crap grounds)