Charger issue, 2017 Alta Redshit MX - help!

Ben990

I need help with my charger. I have a 2017 Alta Redshift MX, and it has worked flawlessly for 129 hours, but now I am having an issue with the charger. I plug in the charger, and when I turn on the key, and press the Run button, the only thing I see is "Connect AC cable" on the display. This happens if I plug it into the wall outlet (110v) or if I plug it into my gas generator (220v).

I borrowed a friend's Alta charger, and my Alta started charging just fine.

Is there anything I can do to get my charger to work? All of the connections/wiring seem fine and tight.

Thanks!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I'd wait for Monday to know what's going on with Alta. Then either call the dealer or take it apart and see who makes that charger, if there is a name or part numbers inside.

snydes

Staff member
I need help with my charger. I have a 2017 Alta Redshift MX, and it has worked flawlessly for 129 hours, but now I am having an issue with the charger. I plug in the charger, and when I turn on the key, and press the Run button, the only thing I see is "Connect AC cable" on the display. This happens if I plug it into the wall outlet (110v) or if I plug it into my gas generator (220v).

I borrowed a friend's Alta charger, and my Alta started charging just fine.

Is there anything I can do to get my charger to work? All of the connections/wiring seem fine and tight.

Thanks!

Dumb question but did you check to make sure that the GFCI is lit up?

Oded

Like Steve wrote, I'd also check the yellow box (the one on the cable coming out from the charger). If it is not pressed, than that's the error message you'll get.

Mark911

You might have to open the thing up and look for a fuse on the output side. There could be several, one for each voltage. There's probably a comm (CAN) link as well. Be Careful! High Voltage.

strider

Try cycling the GFCI buttons on and off several times. If you are handy you might also try cutting the GFCI out of the system.

bluefxstc

Is the LED on the charger coming on? Looking at the front of the charger there is an LED light that initially will alternate between red and green and then transitions to green flashing. If the LED light is on then the charger is receiving power and the GFCI is good. If it is not on then it could be the GFCI, but more likely an internal fuse in the charger. I have not taken an Alta charger apart, but I did have to replace the fuse on the PFC 2500 charger I have on my car.

bluefxstc

I'm pretty sure that there is no serviceable fuse inside the standard charger.
Depends on your definition of "serviceable". I did have to solder a new fuse in, there wasn't a fuse holder to just pop open and replace, but I was able to do it and it worked. No question if the bike and charger is under warranty, then that is the route to go. If the charger isn't working and is not under warranty, then what does he/she have to lose? If I remember right, in the Elcon PFC 2500 in my car, I replaced the fuse with a fuse holder so it was serviceable. It was easier to add the fuse holder than try and board mount a fuse and then solder it in. One end of the fuse was directly mounted to the board so having some wire to work with made it easier.

datadog

My definition of serviceable would mean replaceable without special tools or soldering or adding parts. I suggest that the owner have a bit of patience rather than void the warranty (if there is any) on the charger. But, riders want to ride, and I also get that.

Ben990

Thanks for all of the replies. The LED on the charger is not coming on.

If I open the thing up, will I be able to see a fuse, and be able to tell it is blown just by looking at it?

Mark911

Thanks for all of the replies. The LED on the charger is not coming on.

If I open the thing up, will I be able to see a fuse, and be able to tell it is blown just by looking at it?

Yes! There's one input line fuse. Looks pretty standard. The output looks to be controlled by a 10 amp relay which in turn is controlled by the CAN comm link (twisted green/white wires). If the proper command from the bike is missing the relay will not close. Check your charger-to-bike connector pins for debri or damage. IMG_2818.JPGIMG_2819.JPG

ageess

i have the same problem , which one is the inline fuse the gray clinder ? On my charger is only the black line under power which one should be connected temporarly to check. Please let me know maybe you can mark it on the photo. Happy Christmas :)

ageess

ok i check this and i have 239 v input at black cable and on the left side of the fuse and the relais clicks at output wenn connected to the bike, but no LED ist on at the charger and display says connect to AC please battery is 75 % charged . What can be broken at the charger, it stops at 75 % and no charging more from this point. Thx for the location of the fuse.

bluefxstc

ok i check this and i have 239 v input at black cable and on the left side of the fuse and the relais clicks at output wenn connected to the bike, but no LED ist on at the charger and display says connect to AC please battery is 75 % charged . What can be broken at the charger, it stops at 75 % and no charging more from this point. Thx for the location of the fuse.
With voltage on both sides of the fuse, it is good. Does the charger charge to 75% (i.e. if the bike is at 50% will it charge to 75% and stop) or will it not charge at all? Connect to AC please is normally a function of the GFCI which is the yellow box in the power cable. There are two buttons on the GFCI. One is to test the circuit and one is to reset. When it is passing power the green LED on the GFCI should be on, but if the GFCI is off, then you shouldn't have power to the fuse so not sure what is wrong. I would try and trace the AC power and see if you can find where the break or fault is. 240Vac is a 2 wire system with 120Vac on each side so the break could be on either line. I can try and look inside one of the Elcon PFC 2500 chargers I have to see if I can locate another probable fault location, but that may take me a couple of days.