Charger inline GFCI goes BOOM!

snydes

Staff member
So I was on a riding trip last week with the Alta. I rode 3 days in a row, charging the Alta about twice a day. On day 3 I rode up to my charging spot (charging on 240), hooked up my charger like I did the last half dozen times, and hit the reset button on my GFCI and the light in the middle of the buttons didn't illuminate, hit the reset again, nothing. Next I either hit the reset button again or I hit the test button (can't recall exactly) and BOOM! There were guys about 50' away that yelled "holy sh%t!!". Needless to say it made me jump. Literally blew the input connections right off. I have no clue what is to blame. I always take a multimeter with me and check the line voltage before using any unknown outlet and this one tested good. Anyhow, for reference the inline GFCI on the Alta charger is available through various outlets. In my searches I've seen it branded under a multitude of different names, but as long as the specs match you are good to go. It HAS to be the dual voltage type, so be sure to use an exact match for the specs of the original. I managed to find one through an eBay seller selling surplus equipment, but the next best source I could find was McMaster Carr. The part number is 7228K13. The specs on the website are a bit lacking, so confirm with them on the phone. Here is another on eBay.

At this point I still have no idea what happened. It was a dead dry day, nothing exposed to moisture, same routine I had done multiple times, etc.

A5552F2D-13E5-4C9E-AABD-BCBFD6E2F9E1.jpeg

Top Bottom