Chains

Bloak

My MXR has a non-oring chain on it. Considering an o-ring or x-ring chain.
I ride mx 99% with very occasional woods ride.

Anyone using o/x ring chain for mx?
Noticeable power loss or increase battery consumption?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I switched to a Tusk x-ring chain after about 3 hours. The stock chain kept wearing and stretching, requiring daily adjustments. It even stretched enough to start flopping and break the front chain slider. If I had kept doing adjustments, it would have eaten away the sprockets too.

The argument that o/x ring chains have more drag is bogus. You get more friction from the sand stuck in an unprotected chain that from those well-lubricated o-rings.

You can't feel this chain friction either way. It is not large enough to affect the bike's acceleration. It only wears out the unprotected chain, or maybe warms up the o/x ring chain very slightly. If your chain is not warm after a ride, then the friction was very small. You can test it yourself.

I would only consider an unprotected chain on a road bike or a bicycle.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
I switched to a Tusk x-ring chain after about 3 hours. The stock chain kept wearing and stretching, requiring daily adjustments. It even stretched enough to start flopping and break the front chain slider. If I had kept doing adjustments, it would have eaten away the sprockets too.

The argument that o/x ring chains have more drag is bogus. You get more friction from the sand stuck in an unprotected chain that from those well-lubricated o-rings.

You can't feel this chain friction either way. It is not large enough to affect the bike's acceleration. It only wears out the unprotected chain, or maybe warms up the o/x ring chain very slightly. If you chain is not warm after a ride, then the friction was very small. You can test it yourself.

I would only consider an unprotected chain on a road bike or a bicycle.
Yesterday after my ride, I checked my chain and had to adjust it, it was warm to the touch. I am probably going to re gear my bike, thinking about going to a 12T on the counter and a Dirt Tricks 52T out back. Whats the best chain out there for this? Back when I was riding and racing desert/enduro, I ran Krause Racing Sidewinder chains and sprockets. There was a time where they were awesome. Then the last chain I got from Krause Racing, stretched liked a cheap far east chain. Researched the issue and learned that sidewinder went to crap. Anyway when it comes to my Alta, only the best will do.

Whymee

Old and slow, but hopefull!
Yesterday after my ride, I checked my chain and had to adjust it, it was warm to the touch. I am probably going to re gear my bike, thinking about going to a 12T on the counter and a Dirt Tricks 52T out back. Whats the best chain out there for this? Back when I was riding and racing desert/enduro, I ran Krause Racing Sidewinder chains and sprockets. There was a time where they were awesome. Then the last chain I got from Krause Racing, stretched liked a cheap far east chain. Researched the issue and learned that sidewinder went to crap. Anyway when it comes to my Alta, only the best will do.

There was a time when I ran Sidewinder chains & sprockets. Lasted a whole year+. Good stuff.

When I go to look for chains, I buy the highest tensile strength chain I can find. For awhile I was buying Regina chains. I have since switched to Pro taper chains.

For strictly MX, I run non o-ring. The chain gets attention every half hour, or less. YMMV

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The original Regina chains on my Husky and KTM were horrible.

DO NOT PRESSURE WASH YOUR O/X RING CHAINS!

I was not paying attention, and on my 5,000 mile adventure ride last year the chain stretched beyond adjusting ability by Day 2 so much that it was jumping off the sprocket in turns. The plus side was that I could also put it back on the sprocket without turning the rear wheel.

Oded

Much quieter!

That was a huge selling point for me because I hated listening to the chain noise all the time, even when pushing the bike into the garage.

Good to hear. In that case, I'll have the original chain replaced

Whymee

Old and slow, but hopefull!
I never thought about the noise coming off the chain. Other than tire traction noise, I bet that is the biggest noise maker.
Might have to rethink the o-ring chain recommendation!

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I ride primarily motocross. I run non-ringed chains on all my bikes as they definitely have less drag, so long as you keep them lubed. DID ERT2 and the new DID ERT3 are my chains of choice.

TeslaRaptor

I finally changed the stock chain for a D.I.D. X-ring this weekend. Wow, soooo much quieter than the stock chain! Should have done that a long time ago.

@C5tor can you specify exactly which DID chain you went with. Based on a trail ride yesterday.....seems the loudest thing on my MXR is the chain. Afaik, still on the stock chain. Thx!

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I happened to go with the D.I.D. 520VX3 x-ring chain. Although I would think any o-ring/x-ring would be a lot quieter than the stock chain.

If I could give one piece of advice, it would be to not over-squeeze the master-link. The o-rings don’t like to compress uniformly. I compressed it a bit tighter than I needed too, and that link was very stiff. I managed to back it off by prying a bit with a sharp screwdriver, so didn’t have to swap out the master link, but it was a close thing.

VINSANITY

I put this protaper pro series o-ring chain on - the o-rings are really thin and the chain also has very little friction as compared to other o-ring chains. The chain also has a very high tensile strength and forged pins so it doesn’t stretch much.

1EA9AC21-968F-496C-A5C0-048BA62AB68C.png

Top Bottom