Chain Slider failures

Fod

Hey Guys!
Fog and I both have broken chain sliders (Bottom portion that protects the bottom of the swingarm). I didnt notice it till Fog told me to check mine. Can you guys check yours too see if it was just a fluke that we broke ours and its not a common occurrence. I dont want to replace it if its just going to break again right away.

Mark911

Yep, mine broke the same way. Noticed it several weeks ago. Strange failure, maybe the chain hits it when the suspension is fully compressed. If I were to guess I'd say the part was installed with residual tension and it's just a matter of time. I've also broken the rear chain guide as well. However, an aftermarket KTM part fixed that.

snydes

Staff member
Looking at pictures of KTMs it would appear this is an Alta only piece. The KTMs have some bracing in the area of the large gap which is what we need here on our Altas.

Fog 25

It’s a Alta piece only the chain block is KTM. I already talk to Kevin at Alta about it. I think the fix might be a small piece of rubber between the slider and swing arm.

Fod

No I haven't ordered one because I am not sure of is worth the money to break again. I will try to see if warranty covers it. I am not sure how to proceed honestly.

snydes

Staff member
Well we have at least four broken sliders just of the guys that have looked. Definitely needs Altas attention.

Alta_mxr

Mines good 22hrs but no mx tracks yet all off road single track. Speed averages 16-20mph lots of natural whoops, rocks and logs. No doubles or triples.

My chain slider still in one piece (paused knock on wood) 2017 mx 831 miles 57.6 hrs, mostly on back yard track, no huge air but have cased it enough times on doubles to have a partial black sub frame and fender

Fod

Kevin asked me for vin number....might have a batch issue?!?!?!