Can you adjust the steering head angle and offset

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Yikes.

I had no issue with mine. I did the switch on my MX and like it. Definitely heavier feel, but also feels more stable at speed in the rough

rayivers

Yeah, I was surprised - the manual procedure gave me the impression it would just come right off. Maybe it was hammered into the taper from 800+ miles of riding. I'm looking for more stability and less headshake too.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I am now trying to remove my steering stem from the lower triple clamp, and I can't figure out how it is held there, and where to press to push it out. Should I put the two bolts back in and press on them??

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Have rotated steering stems on two of my three bikes and both required a hydraulic press to be pushed out, which I think is normal.

The oval and conical taper fit is mesmerizing. I keep thinking about how to spec the manufacturing tolerances on such a design. It's also very hard to measure these tapers once they are machined. I wonder if Alta had invented this design or copied it from someone else?

datadog

Have rotated steering stems on two of my three bikes and both required a hydraulic press to be pushed out, which I think is normal.

The oval and conical taper fit is mesmerizing. I keep thinking about how to spec the manufacturing tolerances on such a design. It's also very hard to measure these tapers once they are machined. I wonder if Alta had invented this design or copied it from someone else?

Interchangeable steering offsets are commonly used on road racing bikes, it's not complicated machining. The metrology department at Alta was top notch.

Top Bottom