Can you adjust the steering head angle and offset

VINSANITY

Can you adjust the steering head angle on a 2019 EXR - if it can, has anyone done it - what are the steps

Tuner

you can change the steering head angle via lowering / raising the front and / or rear of the motorcycle. Such is why moving away from a 105mm rear sag setting to something in the neigborhood of 80mm to 90mm improves steering. Such does come at the expense of a small amount of drive under some conditions.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Can you describe how you change the offset of the steerer tubes. What are the basic steps.
You take the triple clamps off the bike. Then, I think, you flip the eccentric steering stem washers around, and bam -- a different offset.

So, if the stock offset is 22mm and the other offset is 18mm, then the optional offset creates a longer trail and more stable steering, right?

VINSANITY

Thank you I appreciate it - so the 18mm offset will be for better slow speed cornering or is it the other way around

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
you can change the steering head angle via lowering / raising the front and / or rear of the motorcycle. Such is why moving away from a 105mm rear sag setting to something in the neigborhood of 80mm to 90mm improves steering. Such does come at the expense of a small amount of drive under some conditions.
Took the words out of my mouth.

Rix

Can you adjust the steering head angle on a 2019 EXR - if it can, has anyone done it - what are the steps
I dropped my front forks 1/8" or .125" and I like it. I do mostly trail riding with speeds below 45MPH, except for sand washes and fire roads. Ironically, I haven't noticed any negative issues with lower the fork. I am not pushing my EXR at any kind of offroad race pace speeds.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I pulled my triples apart this morning. My MX had the steering stem offset so the front wheel axle is in the furthest forward position. I take it that puts the offset in the high speed/more stable position. (Edit: Wrong assumption, this is the Factory setting @ 22mm which is for faster steering, less high speed stability, less trail)A98F494A-9BCA-4F23-865B-2E9667819D4A.jpegB69C43FD-7B67-4966-8B87-8450480B3762.jpeg

Rix

I pulled my triples apart this morning. My MX had the steering stem offset so the front wheel axle is in the furthest forward position. I take it that puts the offset in the high speed/more stable position.
Haven't looked at mine, don't even know if I have a steer tube offset. It makes sense that yours was set up with the front wheel in the most forward position for high speed MotoX.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
I wonder how the EX/Rs are set up.

I think I'm going to swap the position on mine and see how different things feel. Unfortunately, I already feel as if the steering to too light and have been considering a steering stabilizer.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I pulled my triples apart this morning. My MX had the steering stem offset so the front wheel axle is in the furthest forward position. I take it that puts the offset in the high speed/more stable position.View attachment 2192View attachment 2193
No, with the front axle in the most forward position the offset is the largest, but the caster trail is the shortest, and the bike is set up for cornering ease rather than a high-speed stability.

Like Tuner said, more offset = less trail = less stability. And vice versa.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I think I'm going to swap the position on mine and see how different things feel. Unfortunately, I already feel as if the steering to too light and have been considering a steering stabilizer.
Swap it, it will become more stable.

Let us know how it feels.

I have been over-tightening the steering stem nut as a poor man's steering stabilizer. This helps a lot in eliminating the headshake and being able to ride more relaxed.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Swap it, it will become more stable.

Let us know how it feels.

I have been over-tightening the steering stem nut as a poor man's steering stabilizer. This helps a lot in eliminating the headshake and being able to ride more relaxed.

I swapped it. Unfortunately I can't test ride it because my N2Dirt modified shock broke last night with a total of 2 miles on it. Lost all nitrogen and most of the shock fluid. :mad:

I also over-tightened the steering stem nut to add some resistance to the assembly.

Top Bottom