Want to buy Can I use an MX battery in an MXR?

AltaMan!

I have an opportunity to purchase an MX battery. I just don’t know if it is identical to my MXR. My concern is the electrical compatibility. Does any know if are compatible?
Thanks,
Brian.

snydes

Staff member
This is something that may come into play moving forward since there currently is a small supply of A packs floating around. It might be smart to identify the harness needed (and if Liquid has them) and the procedure to convert the bike over.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
The battery pack and the harness with its different connectors are the only differences between the MX and MXR powertrains

This is something that may come into play moving forward since there currently is a small supply of A packs floating around. It might be smart to identify the harness needed (and if Liquid has them) and the procedure to convert the bike over.

Its a bit more than just a main vehicle harness change. The HV harness within the inverter needs to be swapped. Along with that HVIL (High Voltage interlock) on the A packs is designed differently than the R pack. That needs to be swapped. The inverter has to be removed out of the bike to cleanly swap out the HV harness and the HVIL. Lot of work for converting a bike to an R.

Pigtails dont work either...
With that:
1583103778772.png

Mark911

Work yes, but still very possible. The interlock loop (two wires) is fairly easy to change, I’ve done it on the bench many time (the R is quite a bit simpler). My biggest concern is the way the firmware recognizes the type of pack installed and then adjusts the motor control accordingly. It might mean that an original R bike might over stress an A pack or an original A bike might underutilize the capability of the R pack. I’d need to become more educated on the software to be 100% sure how the system would react. But it would run for sure. Alta made other changes to the R pack bus bars to reduce voltage drop but nothing that can’t be done as good or better with the right HV connector/leads, etc.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Work yes, but still very possible. The interlock loop (two wires) is fairly easy to change, I’ve done it on the bench many time (the R is quite a bit simpler). My biggest concern is the way the firmware recognizes the type of pack installed and then adjusts the motor control accordingly. It might mean that an original R bike might over stress an A pack or an original A bike might underutilize the capability of the R pack. I’d need to become more educated on the software to be 100% sure how the system would react. But it would run for sure. Alta made other changes to the R pack bus bars to reduce voltage drop but nothing that can’t be done as good or better with the right HV connector/leads, etc.

Pack firmware lives in the battery. The pack type is in the BCU. So if you swapped batteries, you would not have an issue there. You may have to do a firmware reflash/retime but wasnt really an issue with the controller. Riding between an A pack bike and an R pack bike numerous times, rarely was there a reliability issue. Shoot most customers never really "felt" the power difference.

Unless somehow converting an A bike to an R bike was worth it, its nothing more than something cool to do, but not worth the parts hunting.

Mark911

I believe the original question was whether it was possible to put an A pack into a R bike. Makes sense, R packs are essentially impossible to find (unless someone parts out their bike) while there are a few people which acquired a small number of complete A packs during the liquidation. Given a failed R pack with no hope of repair (or no desire) it’s logical to look at the A pack as a possible replacement.

Top Bottom