Body style changes with custom plastics / tins

ablock

Hi all.

I'll be ordering an SM soon and like all my bikes am looking forward to the farkling / customization process. In this case I would like to see if there is a way to shift the styling of the SM away from Supermoto and towards the scrambler look (of which I consider the Ducati Desert Sled the modern apotheosis). I'm starting with the SM as a base platform in order to get the taller gearing and onboard charger.

I posted in another thread a question about upping the front wheel diameter to 19". This question is about what suggestions any of you may have regarding brands or custom suppliers of plastics or tins that I can swap in for the stock plastics to modify the look as desired. Seat, too. I understand that there are limits based on the frame configuration and requirement to avoid suspension encroachment etc.

I'm open to any and all suggestions or comments. If you think this is a stupid idea, feel free to tell me why; my feelings won't be hurt.

Thanks!

/afb

snydes

Staff member
The Alta guys built an interesting concept bike off of the Redshift platform, “The Crapshoot” if you didn’t already see that. Pretty cool...

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to see if there is a way to shift the styling of the SM away from Supermoto and towards the scrambler look (of which I consider the Ducati Desert Sled the modern apotheosis).
I am not very familiar with any classic scrambles, if there were any. Are you going for an old-school off-road adventure look? In this case, which of the bike's features would define it as such? Steel front and rear fenders, low sweeping handlebars, perhaps a low exhaust pipe that goes up in the rear, LOL!!?

Show us what you are aiming at, post pictures so that we understand what look you are trying to achieve. It could be a fun project.

ablock

Yeah, exactly. I'd describe the scrambler as basically naked, with a high rounded front fender, minimalist rear fender, teardrop "gas tank", ribbed seat with tall side panels, flat adventure-style bars, knobbies, and a big headlight. I get that an electric version will look different, but I still think it can be badass. To me best looking modern incarnation is:

IMG_0107.JPG

ablock

So I did my best to overlay these two images of a Desert Sled (blue) and Redshift SM (red) at the same scale and with the rear hubs aligned (the parallax is not identical on the two photos). Some interesting findings, in particular that the rake is more or less identical but the head tube is lower and farther forward on the scrambler. Swingarms are quite obviously distinct and the shock configuration means the rear end looks very different. Low rear fender on the scrambler might be an issue depending on suspension travel.

Still, it seems like the general structure could offer a path to what I am looking to do...scrambler-redshift-sm.png