Bladder conversion done differently

Mark911

It's been discussed that there's just not enough room between the shock and the rear subsection to incorporate a proper bladder system. There's just so much length and although going "fatter" might work with a piston type reservoir a true bladder needs to collapse radially, not axially, so you need length. So, you could hog out the fender or deform it with heat but you'll probably still have a relatively bad aspect ratio for a bladder. So I decided to solve the problem by incorporating a KYB bladder system onto one of my stock Alta WP shocks. It's been too wet (yes, in SoCal!) to test but it should work just fine.
IMG_2987.JPG

IMG_2988.JPG

Fod

Am I seeing this right? Do you have two compression assemblies in series? I believe the wp shock shaft is 2mm larger in diameter and probably about same length as the kyb (46mm shock I assume) so bladder/reservoir is capable of handling the displacement.

I am more familiar with mountain bike shocks and that said we use to tune bottom out with the internal floating piston (IFP) shocks with the air volume and pressure. I wish we could do the same with the ifp equipped moto shocks but I heard it doesn't have the same affect as it does with mtb. So might as well go with a bladder design.

Mark911

Not in series, in parallel. I had to add a completely new circuit from the main body to feed the second valve and then both dump into the reservoir through a shared port. I had to reverse the direction of flow through the KYB valving to make it work. I have NO IDEA how to valve it until I do some simulations, so right now there's no valving in the KYB housing (it's essentially plugged) and I use it for a fill/vacuum port. My initial thought is to utilize it as a "blow off" system but there's many other possibilities. But for now it's just a WP shock with a KYB bladder.

Yes, mtn/offroad bicycle suspension technology is way ahead of moto. The old Yamaha (tach forks) used something similar to what you mentioned and that was back in the mid 70s.

Reactions: Fod

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Last week I had the local suspension shop remove the SDI bladder kit on my shock and install a K-tech bladder kit. The body of the K-tech is 8mm shorter and does not have a schrader valve sticking out which made the SDI kit even longer. The length of both bladder kits is an issue, but the K-tech is a better fit.

Your design neatly solves the clearance issues!

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
It's been discussed that there's just not enough room between the shock and the rear subsection to incorporate a proper bladder system. There's just so much length and although going "fatter" might work with a piston type reservoir a true bladder needs to collapse radially, not axially, so you need length. So, you could hog out the fender or deform it with heat but you'll probably still have a relatively bad aspect ratio for a bladder. So I decided to solve the problem by incorporating a KYB bladder system onto one of my stock Alta WP shocks. It's been too wet (yes, in SoCal!) to test but it should work just fine.
View attachment 2250

View attachment 2251
Got a ride report on this? I like it. may have to send you my shock and have you work some magic.

Mark911

Honestly, I really like it. It's still firm with my valving but it seems to be more compliant to small stuff and square edge hits. I've got a stocker, my Frankenshock and a Trax shock, time to do some side-by-side.

Reactions: Rix
Top Bottom