Better Battery

Alta_mxr

Fisker Interview

If his claims are correct. 400wh / Kilo or even 500wh / kilo.
That would yield an Alta like bike that could achieve 16kwh battery in 70# package that was built as long as the same volume could be used.
Then by my experience with the bike in off-road conditions you could make it 50miles before the battery indicator disappeared and started flashing. "find the truck"
I could then sell my ICE bike. Sounds like 3 years away but we can hope sooner.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Fisker Interview

If his claims are correct. 400wh / Kilo or even 500wh / kilo.
That would yield an Alta like bike that could achieve 16kwh battery in 70# package that was built as long as the same volume could be used.
Then by my experience with the bike in off-road conditions you could make it 50miles before the battery indicator disappeared and started flashing. "find the truck"
I could then sell my ICE bike. Sounds like 3 years away but we can hope sooner.
Hell yah a 16kwh Alta that weighed 270 pounds or less would be AWESOME!!! At this stage, one can dream.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Yep, can't turn around these days without seeing another article describing yet another battery breakthrough, and claims that the new tech will double or triple the energy density of current tech. And even if 75% of these claims are vaporware, it's inevitable that there is a commercially produceable tech that will be the next generation of battery coming in the next few years.

I think in 7 to 10 years we will be able to have a 250 lb dirt bike with 60+ hp that can go 200ish miles on a charge. If any mfg will bother to build it...

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
You just know that the "battery breakthrough " is coming damn soon - alot of folks working on extended life/range stuff. Here's a promising one...if a car goes 600, will an e-bike go 1500 miles?
Someone's building a battery good for a 621-mile range
From that article: "It is, they claim, the world’s first 1,000 Wh/kg (watt-hours per kilogram) rechargeable battery."

The Alta' battery is about 200 Wh/kg. So, you could make an Alta battery that weighs the same but has a 5 times larger capacity and range, and maybe power.

I think in 7 to 10 years we will be able to have a 250 lb dirt bike with 60+ hp that can go 200ish miles on a charge.
So if the stock Alta has a range of 40 miles, then this new and improved one is supposed to have a range of 200 miles.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
So if the stock Alta has a range of 40 miles, then this new and improved one is supposed to have a range of 200 miles.
If only we knew how long it will take for production techniques and materials to become even relatively cost competitive with current batteries, my best guess based on exactly no facts, is that we are facing a 7+ year wait.

That said, this is a case where I would be happy to be wrong.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I would love be able to ride the entire TAT (Trans America Trail) on an electeic dirt bike like the Alta, from coast to coast.
All we need to do now is break the trail into 40 mile segments, and have a support truck meet you at each campsite to make it possible with the current technology.
:cool: