Best practices? Battery Longevity

Metzger

I tried searching but couldn’t find what I was looking for, I apologize if I’m bringing up something that’s been covered.
That said, is there a “Best Practices” for battery charging/maintaining/etc.
Things like
-not charging immediately after riding
-not riding to complete discharge
-not leaving outside I’m freezing temps

Just hoping to get some info on how to best take care of this battery so it’ll last forever, especially as I’m falling more and more in love with it love😍😍😍😍

61B560D7-A4E7-49ED-BE47-F1558F739D10.jpeg

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
From what I gather, most Alta owners store their bikes in a nice warm room, perhaps the bedroom or living room. They periodically rub their Alta with a soft rag or cotton diaper, and make soothing sounds and play Mozart (or AC/DC) to it. They supply only Premium Electrons to it, preferably natural organic solar-photonic electrons, not that cheap crap from the coal plants or other fossil fuels. They need daily or weekly exercise, preferrably a brisk trail run or motocross jump or two. An active Alta is a happy Alta.

There are indeed other discussions on the forum on this topic:
Battery care -- winter riding and hibernation

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Keep battery at 50-60% state of charge when not riding for long periods of time. I leave my bikes at 50-60% really any time i know im not riding it for longer than a day.

Charging immediately after riding isn't something to worry about too much. Charging does warm up the battery, though, and you may run into thermal limiting on the ride out after that charging event since you are starting with a warm battery. I use a mister fan on the battery when rapid charging to help mitigate that.

F451

I've noticed my Alta doesn't get any lighter as I use up the electrons during my rides. My ICE bikes always get lighter as I burn up the gas.

What am I doing wrong?

Lol

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I've noticed my Alta doesn't get any lighter as I use up the electrons during my rides. My ICE bikes always get lighter as I burn up the gas.

What am I doing wrong?

Lol
Clearly you are looking at this backwards. The ICE bikes are heavier when you start your ride. Then they go back to their regular weight by the end of the ride. You are just saddling the poor little mounts with a couple gallons of totally unneeded dinosaur juice to haul around in the meantime. The Alta is always at its optimum weight.

Fog 25

What am I doing wrong?

Lol
That’s because you’re leaving all the corrosion in the battery when you drain the electricity up.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator

What am I doing wrong?

Lol
Alternative theory #3: During acceleration on an electric dirt bike, the electrons move from the negative to the positive side of the battery, releasing torque and joy to the rear wheel. Since torque and joy are weightless, the battery stays the same weight. All the electrons stay in the battery, but just gather on the positive side. When you plug the charger in, all of the electrons run joyfully back to the negative side of the battery, like happy little children playing Red Rover. There they rest, dreaming pleasant dreams until it is time to play again.

This is different than an ICE bike, where when you accelerate, you burn the happy little dinosaur chunks in the tank, releasing heat and smog. The smog is just the toasted remains of very unhappy little roasted dinosaurs, coughing and wheezing out the tailpipe. When you are done, there are no happy dinosaurs in the tank, just a trail of charred baby dinosaur remains in the sky and on the trail. There are no happy dreams for the baby dinosaurs left in the toxic gas tank of fiery doom on the ICE bike. This is why ICE bikes get lighter.

Butch

Poseur
If i recall correctly,
M= E (energy, grams) divided by C (the speed of light, 186k meters per second), SQUARED, is the increased mass of our bikes when charged.

That Einstein guy thinks it is real.

Top Bottom