Best Alta Generator

F451

That's a hell of a good deal, let me know what you think of that unit once you get a chance to try it out.

Thanks! And yes, I thought it was a pretty good deal so decided to jump on it instead of waiting for one of the Honda or Yamaha EU type generators to show up on CL at a price I could afford.

Delivery is scheduled for the 17th, then I'm going to sound proof it ala' Mark911, and I'm considering building a break down-able quiet box for it, both for use with the Alta but also for the occasional times we need it at home here. I really hate noisy generators so if I can get this setup put together the way I'm imagining, I think it will be very quiet, which is great for everyone.

Might be a while before I get to report back on it, but I will do so at some point.

Scooter584

Just got my Briggs and Stratton Q6500 today. Not too bad noise wise, compared to other generators I've heard at tracks and campgrounds... especially when ideled down with the quiet power switch. Light weight and smaller too so packing up I'm the back of the van shouldn't be too bad....this Alta might just work out!!

Brent421

Hi guys, I’m new to the forum and just purchased a new 2019 MXR. I’ve been riding motocross my entire life and can honestly say nothing compares to the Alta. I was wondering what the overall consensus is for the best generator to run the quick charger??? After reading through this forum, I have my eye on the Briggs and Stratton Q6500. Any thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Hi guys, I’m new to the forum and just purchased a new 2019 MXR. I’ve been riding motocross my entire life and can honestly say nothing compares to the Alta. I was wondering what the overall consensus is for the best generator to run the quick charger??? After reading through this forum, I have my eye on the Briggs and Stratton Q6500. Any thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Bang for the buck, the Briggs unit is probably the best inverter option on the market right now.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
+1

That's what I would have also bought, if I needed a generator. The funny part is that between having the lithium batteries in the van and bringing two fully charged bikes to the track I haven't had to use my DuroMax generator yet!

Brent421

+1

That's what I would have also bought, if I needed a generator. The funny part is that between having the lithium batteries in the van and bringing two fully charged bikes to the track I haven't had to use my DuroMax generator yet!
Thanks Philip!

VINSANITY

Based on people’s reviews from this forum I purchased the B&S Q6500 - it works great with the fast charger - I installed a second handle to be able to pick it up - installing the handle was a major pain but really worth it - when I’m feeling good I can lift it by myself into the grand cherokee

I’d recommend the Q6500 and keep an eye on Home Depot as they sold this one online for $1,000

56BC9EE0-DE0F-484E-BE12-E3CCBAC072F0.jpeg

43BDF0BC-439B-4CEA-9274-5E05BEF15BB2.jpeg

Scooter584

Home Depot online is where I found the best deal it seemed like at the time. $900 something. They ship to you or the nearest home Depot and you pick it up.
The unit works well and is quiet. It has pleanty of power for the fast charger and more. It has a quiet switch, when it is on it only revs up to the demand you are putting on it basically it's not like a typical generator that's running wide open. Hide it on the other side of your vehicle and barley notice.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Based on people’s reviews from this forum I purchased the B&S Q6500 - it works great with the fast charger - I installed a second handle to be able to pick it up - installing the handle was a major pain but really worth it - when I’m feeling good I can lift it by myself into the grand cherokee

I’d recommend the Q6500 and keep an eye on Home Depot as they sold this one online for $1,000

View attachment 3689

View attachment 3690

I like the extra handle. Is there something underneath that you were able to attach it to, or just the case?

VINSANITY

I use the extra handle all the time

It’s attached to the frame - you have to take most of the plastic off - I forgot to take a picture of how I mounted it - basically steel plates bolted around the frame and handle

Scooter584

Would you know if you could charge at 240V AND use tire warmers at the same time or would that be too much?
I believe the fast charger is roughly 16 amps at 240 volts.... The Briggs generator is 6500 watts. So you would have roughly 22 amps at 120 volts or 11 amps at 240 left for the tire warmers. Without the info of the warmers I can't tell you for sure....and that is also running the generator at Max capacity

Judaslefourbe

I believe the fast charger is roughly 16 amps at 240 volts.... The Briggs generator is 6500 watts. So you would have roughly 22 amps at 120 volts or 11 amps at 240 left for the tire warmers. Without the info of the warmers I can't tell you for sure....and that is also running the generator at Max capacity
I also just thought about how the warmers work on 120V so that would definitely not work. It's ok, who needs warmers to ride on slicks anyway... :D

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I also just thought about how the warmers work on 120V so that would definitely not work. It's ok, who needs warmers to ride on slicks anyway... :D
Of course it will. If you have 240V you also have 120V. The fast charger uses no more than 4000W. You still have 2500W to warm the tires. It's more than 2 hair dryers of power, LOL!

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
My 8500 Briggs CL special will charge Alta Fast Charger an OSET MX10 110v & some misc camping items 110v without bogging - it’s a Monster!! Load & obnoxious but it’s a Monster 🤡