Best Alta Generator

Altaracer929

Yes UK and all of EU are 220/ 230/240 volts Only! So if you order your generators from UK it will only be 230 volts 50 hz. NO 110 volt 60hz what so ever. UK uses type G power plugs and sockets. Alta racer Lyndon Poskitt is from UK, he used two honda 2200 watt 240 volt quiet generator linked together with the honda linking cables to produce 4400 watts of 230 volts 50hz 14.8 amp. It charged his 2019 Alta EXR in his videos so it has to work. Check out Honda generators on the UK honda website, I am sure they will ship to USA. EU22i Portable Generator | Honda Lawn & Garden

strider

So even though it will put out the watts needed by the rapid charger for the exr, you're saying it won't charge full speed because it's 120v instead of 240v? I'm a bit confused, I thought parallel hondas was the setup Alta had Lynden use when testing the EXRs in Europe.
The EU2000i/2200i are only 120V. Paralleling them doubles the current but not the voltage. The rapid charger is limited to 1,650W @120V. It can pull 3,300W when connected to 240V. As @Altaracer929 stated, European generators are 230/240V so their version of the small Honda generator (EU22i) outputs 230V and so when paralleled can run a rapid charger.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
A new option has hit the market, easily capable of powering the fast charger, but not going to annoy the next camp site over.

And best of all, the price is not outrageous.

Champion generator 5000W

That price is outrageous to me....

The new Predator 4375 from Harbor Freight will fit the bill just fine. 4375 Max Starting/3500 Running Watts, 6.5 HP (212cc) Generator CARB with GFCI Outlet Protection

At some point we may be able to charge our bikes faster (higher amps). If I were purchasing a generator again, i'd opt for the Predator 6500 (5500watt continuous): 6500 Max Starting/5500 Running Watts, 8 HP (301cc) Generator EPA III with GFCI Outlet Protection

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
The reported 69 db is just as loud as any other inexpensive generator on the market. Not sure why they are charging a premium for it. They say it has 301 HP! :eek:
It may be as loud at full load, but since it's an inverter type generator, it can idle down as the load is reduced making it potentially much quieter, although not Honda EU series quiet.

I don't own one, but thought I'd share with the group another possibility that should be adequate and somewhere between a predator and a EU series.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
It may not be either the quietest nor cheapest, but it is an option for someone who wants the efficiency of an inverter unit, and isn't worried about being a little louder than something like a Honda EU series. All while costing much less than a new Honda too.

If I were still in the market for a new generator, this would be on my short list.

F451

The B&S Q6500 is working fine. In my mind it's the best alternative to the $4k plus Yamaha and Honda 240 inverters. It was NOT as quiet as advertised. In fact, I was quite displeased and ready to return it as it wasn't much better than my $400 commercial unit. However, being fully enclosed it had the potential to be quiet. I bought some high temp sound deading material from McMaster Carr and basically wrapped it from the inside. Man, what a difference. Now it's just as good as the expensive Honda/Yama. It's got an "eco" mode which throttles down the rpm to just enough to supply the requested current and it really helps with the sound as well.

I also got a VERY good look into the design and quality of the generator as I needed to essentially strip it down. The hard part mechanicals are pretty good but the plastic parts are flimsy and not very well attached, more slots/tabs than solid bolts/screws. Better for fast manufacturing but not for being banged around in the back of a pickup. Time will tell.

Even without a electric start the weight is still too much to lift by myself so I use my bike ramps. I wish it had some lift handles to make the job easier and I'll be adding some soon.

If you live in Ca you'll need to buy it out of state as it's not CARB compliant (no evap system, etc).

By this time I'd expect the prices to be around $1500, less than half the big Honda and Yamaha inverters. Bottom line, if sound is important and your willing to spend an extra $100 and a day insulating the generator the B&S is a cost effective alternate to the big boys.

How's your B&S Q6500 holding up? Still happy with it powering the Fast Charger?

Can you link to the specific "high temp sound deading material from McMaster Carr" that you purchased? I looked on their site, but there's a ton of different materials and I couldn't zero in on any one item that might work best.

I'm in the process of buying a Fast Charger and would like to get a replacement generator for our home and that I can use with the Fast Charger too.

My generator short list, in sort of preference is:
  • CL used Honda EU: $1000?
  • B&S Q6500: $1212 + sound deadening materials + time to sound deaden
  • Champion DH 6,250 Open Frame Inverter Generator: $861 - this one might be too loud for my uses, I'd like it to be quiet as possible, which gets me back to the B&S Q6500 + sound deadening materials
I have up to about $1200 to spend, and like everyone else would like to find the best balance between charging capability, cost, quiet, and reliability. I'd love to find a Honda EU series used on CL or something, but they are very spendy from what I am seeing.

Thanks for any input! -Ed

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
@F451 don't forget that Yamaha also makes a line of inverter generators like Honda, similar in most aspects including MSRP. So if you find a used one on CL, it will be priced similar to the EU 6500.

Good luck and happy hunting.

F451

@F451 don't forget that Yamaha also makes a line of inverter generators like Honda, similar in most aspects including MSRP. So if you find a used one on CL, it will be priced similar to the EU 6500.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Right on, I will consider those as well, thank you!

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Thanks! I just ordered one this morning at that sale price, down from #$1212, plus got another 10% off with an HD discount flyer thing. Yeah me!
That's a hell of a good deal, let me know what you think of that unit once you get a chance to try it out.