Battery Storage Temps

MattB

I’ve seen a few posts about battery care and figured I start another thread specifically about temperatures that we store our bikes/batteries. Summer temps in our garages can get extremely hot! Heat is one of the worst enemies of lithium based batteries. Combine high temps with a fully charged battery and your battery life is going to be in the toilet.
I’m not sure what the solution to this problem is beyond bringing our bikes into a climate controlled environment.

Where are you guys storing your bikes and what are the summer temps in your storage area?

Here is a great article on Lithium Ion batteries. About 1/2 way down they talk about storage temps and storage capacity.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
My Alta is in the living room. During the winter I'll move it to the basement or the hallway. It was kinda neat to "ride" my new motorcycle inside the house!

rayivers

My garage varies from 50F to 75F. In the winter I heat my Zero battery to 80F if possible, it makes a real difference in both performance and range. I think internal overheating during hard use is the real enemy, but Alta seems to have that covered.