Battery Bank to charge the Alta

Matt

E-Rider
I was talking with a battery builder out of Ohio who will build lithium packs for us that can recharge our bikes at fast charger speeds for one full charge for under $1000. This would include the inverter also. If anyone is interested in this let me know. I am sick of my loud ass generator and most of the time I never need more than two full charges so having a battery backup that can charge the bike back up once is all I really need. He estimated it would weight somewhere between 80 and 90 pounds. I have been asking around different battery builders to see what it would cost to build one of these. Most companies that do it won't unless it is a bulk order but the guy I was talking with will do smaller orders. If anyone is interested let me know below

VINSANITY

That’s cool / how long do you think it will take to transfer from one battery to another

Potentially I’m in

Matt

E-Rider
I told him what the fast charger pulls in terms of current roughly at 240v and that I would need for the charging battery to charge the Altas battery fully in two hours.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I told him what the fast charger pulls in terms of current roughly at 240v and that I would need for the charging battery to charge the Altas battery fully in two hours.

3.3KW UHF CAN bus chargers

The HK series is what is inside the rapid chargers. @ 220VAC you will be charging at 3.3kW (rapid charger spec). As long as the battery "backup" has the right protections and BMS to not drain itself; then the charger will do its thing.

VINSANITY

i Thought it would charge the Alta battery in approximately one hour like the fast charger does on 240volt - wonder why it would take two hours to charge the Alta from this battery

VINSANITY

I’d say when there is still 10% charge left in the battery the fast charger on generator will get the Alta battery full in about an hour - with a fan and cold water sprayed on the battery for cooling

VINSANITY

The charger green light does not turn on so it doesn’t go through the full cell balance cycle - I just unplug when it’s att full bars on the display

VINSANITY

Maybe I’m a little too optimistic with my charging time - my bike is probably the same charging time as yours - getting older to the memory is not great

privateer703

AOF Addict
I'd be interested, would he post the specs of what he'll make? I've been thinking of building the same thing with maybe a little extra battery for some small device charging/running.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to have this thing for $1,000, but the price and the weight seems too good to be true. A more realistic price would be around $5,000.

Matt

E-Rider
I would like to have this thing for $1,000, but the price and the weight seems too good to be true. A more realistic price would be around $5,000.
I haven't dug deep into what he would make. I just asked for a rough estimate. I was curious on interest levels here. I will see if he will shed some light more light on what he would build.

Matt

E-Rider
I told him to make an account and comment on this thread regarding what he can make for us. @Philip hopefully this doesn't cross the selling things guidelines. I think it is a little different because we are reaching out to him. Either way hopefully he can shed more light on what type of bank he would build.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I told him to make an account and comment on this thread regarding what he can make for us. @Philip hopefully this doesn't cross the selling things guidelines. I think it is a little different because we are reaching out to him. Either way hopefully he can shed more light on what type of bank he would build.
We want to encourage people and businesses to create products for us. I see no issues with this.