Anyone do a bladder conversion on the shock yet?

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I want to do a bladder conversion on my shock to make maintenance/tinkering with valve stacks a lot easier. Has anyone done the conversion yet?

JBI makes one. Not sure if it will fit though.
WP Shock Bladder Kit

SDI also makes one, and its a shorty version that looks like may clear our subframes. I contacted them asking them to measure it.
SDESBCAKT16S-Blu Suspension Direct | Suspension Direct, Inc.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Yes I did and no it doesn't.

The SDI kit does not clear the sub frame, but I thought it was close enough to make it work by heating it with a heat gun. Well, 6 hour later and a lot of "WTF"s, I got it to work. I'm not proud of this modification but I didn't really have a choice after I started with the heat gun.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
When Mark and I revalved my shock, the piston was seemingly hitting some sort of hard stop halfway down the reservoir before charging it with nitrogen. We just figured that's where it needed to be set before filling the other side with nitrogen.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Might be the difference between the MX and MXRs. I need to find another picture of a MX.......

Yup, looks like the MX, EX and EXR have a different rear shock to the MXR. I never notice before.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
It's the same shock. The Tank just looks a little larger on the OD. The piston is 2mm larger. Not sure I would be able to tell the difference at my riding skill level.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
It's the same shock. The Tank just looks a little larger on the OD. The piston is 2mm larger. Not sure I would be able to tell the difference at my riding skill level.

My MX's bladder tank has internal threads, looks like the MXR tank has external threads.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I'm working with SDI now to see if they can provide a solution. They told me their shorty bladder reservoir extends 98mm beyond the threads. Thats roughly 3.8" and would probably rub against the subframe. I'm asking to see if i can trim about 1/4" off the threaded end and make it work. Otherwise, @Mark911 has offered to machine a custom reservoir for me. What a great guy! That will be last resort, though.

Mark911

I'd probably replace the SDI upper cap with a very low profile cap and add a remote tank to re-establish proper gas volume. Might be able to add a tapered needle valve between the two to adjust the pressure differential somewhat like the Enzo subtanks do for forks. Another thought would be to design a super short spin-on adapter with a 90 degree feature for installing the SDI kit sideways like Yamaha. All very doable but not likely to see in production due to lack of demand.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I'd probably replace the SDI upper cap with a very low profile cap and add a remote tank to re-establish proper gas volume. Might be able to add a tapered needle valve between the two to adjust the pressure differential somewhat like the Enzo subtanks do for forks. Another thought would be to design a super short spin-on adapter with a 90 degree feature for installing the SDI kit sideways like Yamaha. All very doable but not likely to see in production due to lack of demand.

I love your thinking, Mark! That sounds totally trick.